All SQL Server 2014 upgrades are failing

Hi,

Im trying to update SQL Server 2014 but so far havent been able to.
Have tried SP1 and several other updates, but they all seem to fail.
SP1 upgrade fails with Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (KB3058865). Event Id: 20

Apparently there is some kind of mismatch between the versions updater is expecting.

Have also tried repair function from some other installation medi , this always fails since some RTM required file is missing from media.

I have originally made this development image based on Azure BizTalk 2013 R2 delopment image from gallery.
When I made a version upgrade to SQL Server Enterprise. MDS is also present in current installation.

When trying to update RTM CU7 i get following error:

The version of SQL Server instance Shared Component does not match the version expected by the SQL Server update. The installed SQL Server product version is 12.0.2000.10, and the expected SQL Server version is 12.0.2000.8.

How can fix my environment to make a successful upgrade? 

September 11th, 2015 1:21pm

Please post the results of SELECT @@VERSION.

The first public RTM version of 2014 was 12.0.2000.80.  It sounds like you have the pre-release version installed, which is not supported and cannot be upgraded.  You must uninstall that version and reinstall a proper licensed RTM version.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, September 11, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by vipasane Saturday, September 12, 2015 7:05 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 1:31pm

Please post the results of SELECT @@VERSION.

The first public RTM version of 2014 was 12.0.2000.80.  It sounds like you have the pre-release version installed, which is not supported and cannot be upgraded.  You must uninstall that version and reinstall a proper licensed RTM version.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, September 11, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by vipasane Saturday, September 12, 2015 7:05 AM
September 11th, 2015 1:31pm

Download SQL Server 2014 SP1 from Microsoft official website and try installing it manually. I guess your are trying to install it from Windows update , are you ?

September 11th, 2015 1:41pm

Hello,

A few scenarios where this error appears:

• You are trying to update a SQL Server instance installed on a domain controller. SQL Server should not be installed on a Domain Controller and when this happen updates usually fail.
  • You encrypted or compressed the drive/folder where SQL Server is installed. Remove these features and apply again the update.
  • Lack of permissions on SQL Server registry key. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/180499

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

September 11th, 2015 8:29pm

Hello,

A few scenarios where this error appears:

• You are trying to update a SQL Server instance installed on a domain controller. SQL Server should not be installed on a Domain Controller and when this happen updates usually fail.
  • You encrypted or compressed the drive/folder where SQL Server is installed. Remove these features and apply again the update.
  • Lack of permissions on SQL Server registry key. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/180499

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

September 11th, 2015 8:29pm

Output:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2000.10 (X64) 
Mar 17 2014 20:30:03 
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)

I think this is a bit odd since. This SQL Instance has been installed by Microsoft since the image is directly from Azure gallery. 

Thanks Tom for your suggestion but uninstalling is really not an viable option:
We have created and copied this development image through whole development team and it already includes so many dependencies already.  I would rather install new instance on the side and migrate away from this SQL instance. Uninstalling would be the last resort.

September 12th, 2015 3:15am

Hi, Alberto,
And thank you for your input and suggestions

Checked all of those:
No it is not domain controller, in fact it is not part of any domain
Encryption or Compression is not present
Registry key was available

September 12th, 2015 3:34am

Yes I have tried both several times, none of those worked
September 12th, 2015 7:03am

It would help if you can please share the setup logs. They are located in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log

September 12th, 2015 8:55am

Hello,

The only option now is to analyze the logs as mentioned by Balmukund. The following article may help you locate all setup log files.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.120).aspx

You can share it with us via the Public folder of your OneDrive account, if you want.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

September 12th, 2015 1:10pm

Hello,

The only option now is to analyze the logs as mentioned by Balmukund. The following article may help you locate all setup log files.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.120).aspx

You can share it with us via the Public folder of your OneDrive account, if you want.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

September 12th, 2015 5:09pm

Some logs are now available here.
These are logs while trying to install RTM CU7 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3046038) 
As you can see there is now a named instance with called Developer with SP1 + CU2
And default instance with RTM.

From detail file there are a lot of missing files from installation media.

September 14th, 2015 4:12am

Please try installing CU2 first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2960735

September 14th, 2015 8:53am

Thanks Tom. 
While reading the description of this update it really got my hopes up, but no dice.
You can't select the instance Im looking to update 

• Edited by vipasane 22 minutes ago Additions to description
September 15th, 2015 2:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics