Alerts not coming on Dual Honed servers

Hi,

We have both SCOM 2007R2 and SCOM2012R2 installations. Agents were installed from 2012 over the top of 2007 managed clients.

So Client servers have (At the moment) and agent from both SCOM instances. And they both show Green under "Agent Managed".

We do find that alerts are inconsistent for clients. Some clients will alert to both SCOM instances, others will only go to the 2007R2 instance.

Is this a common issue? Does it mean that clients should only really have the single agent to be consistent?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

• Edited by bradje Thursday, September 04, 2014 9:47 PM
September 4th, 2014 9:47pm

Hi John,

We performed a similar push on our side-by-side upgrade to SCOM 2012 R2 from 2007 R2.  The new agents and connections to the new SCOM 2012 instance were pushed from the 2012 console. (Does this sound similar to your situation?)

There was a couple agents that I needed to Clear the Health State and restart the agent after the upgrade but otherwise we have not seen inconsistency issues between what alerts are coming in.

Additionally; The new and old management groups can have different configurations and the Agent will properly send alerts to the respective Management Group.  If your new build/management pack setup isn't exactly the same as the old one you may see activity like this as well.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2014 11:38am

Same issue here also. I have a multi homing setup where my agents report to both SCOM 2007 R2 & SCOM 2012 R2. As i see SCOM 2007 R2 Throws more alerts rather that SCOM 2012 R2.

When i stop the services of SCOM 2007 R2 then i see all those alerts now trigger on SCOM 2012 R2.

Not able to understand why is this happening.

September 5th, 2014 8:14pm

Thx very much Nathan.

Yes, this is our scenario. How do u tell which agents need flushing?

Also, I know that each of the client servers have been restarted at least twice since implementing 2012R2 due to WSUS Patch Mgmt, so this would clear the agent cache also wouldn't it?

JB

September 7th, 2014 8:37pm

Thx Gautam.

Interesting. Must be a common bug in SCOM if we are both seeing this.

JB

September 7th, 2014 8:40pm

Thx very much Nathan.

Yes, this is our scenario. How do u tell which agents need flushing?

Also, I know that each of the client servers have been restarted at least twice since implementing 2012R2 due to WSUS Patch Mgmt, so this would clear the agent cache also wouldn't it?

JB

WSUS Patching will not clear the agent cache, located under the SCOM installation folder is the Health Service State folder, which holds the current config.  This will remain intact on a normal or WSUS initiated restart, you can stop the service and delete the folder or use the Flush Agent Task to pull a new config.

As for which agents to flush, I don't know a great way to determine that, other than using it on servers where you have seen different behavior, and you know for sure that they have the same configuration in both management groups.

September 8th, 2014 3:46pm

As an additional note, you can pull the configuration and management packs from both 2007 and 2012 via the PowerShell Commandlets, the 2012 version is below.

In XML format it may be easier to confirm you have the same overrides in place, and the same groups in place if your overrides are targeted there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh918476(v=sc.20).aspx

September 8th, 2014 3:48pm

We're seeing the same thing. I don't think Dual Homing works quite as expected.

DR

July 7th, 2015 2:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics