Alert me MS SQL database backup to other site

Hi,

I have a microsoft SQL 2008 R2 Standard database in Site A and want Site B to be the back-up just in case Site A losses power for what ever reason or the server on Site A goes down. What would be the best disaster recovery method for this? I have heard of replication, log shipping and mirroring and am thinking to use mirroring. Would this be the best option? 

Another scenario, if I have two physical machines each having their own sql database, can I use mirroring?

Thanks!

September 10th, 2015 10:35pm

HI Janus,

I have a microsoft SQL 2008 R2 Standard database in Site A and want Site B to be the back-up just in case Site A losses power for what ever reason or the server on Site A goes down. What would be the best disaster recovery method for this? I have heard of replication, log shipping and mirroring and am thinking to use mirroring. Would this be the best option? 

You need to consider few factors while planning a DR depending on your business requirements. There is nothing such thing called ''this is the best''.You need to find the right technology that will suit your needs.

SLA'S like  Down time to failover, Data Loss  needs to be considered. Looking at your scenario you may need to implement some thing like Clustering depending on your needs, if you want to have to implement DR at SQL Server Instance level. You also need to have Enterprise edition of Windows Server to implement this.

DB Mirroring is a deprecated feature - so it is not recommended to use this feature in new development work.

Also see this link  on planning a DR solution

Another scenario, if I have two physical machines each having their own sql database, can I use mirroring?

No You can't. Please see the above DB mirroring link to understand what actually DB mirroring is before implementing it.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 12:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics