After v12 migration SQL Error 26078 Client disconnected during login

We recently migrated our 4 SQL DB Servers to v12 of the SQL DB. All seems to work just fine but ever since the migration (5/21) we have been seeing a new error quite regularly (4 or 5 times a day). The error is "26078 Client disconnected during login". We are using the Entity Framework retry logic to handle transient errors, but this error code is not considered transient and retriable by EF, even though it "feels" like it might be.

Can anyone shed any light on this error? It really seems highly correlated to the v12 (SQL 2014) migration we did. I had never seen this error before then.

Here is a stack trace of the error (excluding our code):

---> System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityCommandExecutionException: An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Client disconnected during login
A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, SqlDataReader ds)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbCommandDispatcher.<Reader>b__c(DbCommand t, DbCommandInterceptionContext`1 c)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher`1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext,TResult](TTarget target, Func`3 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action`3 executing, Action`3 executed)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbCommandDispatcher.Reader(DbCommand command, DbCommandInterceptionContext interceptionContext)
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InterceptableDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.Internal.EntityCommandDefinition.ExecuteStoreCommands(EntityCommand entityCommand, CommandBehavior behavior)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.Internal.EntityCommandDefinition.ExecuteStoreCommands(EntityCommand entityCommand, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.Internal.ObjectQueryExecutionPlan.Execute[TResultType](ObjectContext context, ObjectParameterCollection parameterValues)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.<>c__DisplayClass7.<GetResults>b__6()
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.ExecuteInTransaction[T](Func`1 func, IDbExecutionStrategy executionStrategy, Boolean startLocalTransaction, Boolean releaseConnectionOnSuccess)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.<>c__DisplayClass7.<GetResults>b__5()
   at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func`1 operation)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.<System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<T>.GetEnumerator>b__0()
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyEnumerator`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)

May 29th, 2015 1:10am

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Is your Database hosted in West US?

If so, we have a Partial Service Interruption going on for SQL database.

[5/29/2015 12:05:20 AM PDT]  - Starting at 29 MAY, 2015 04:00 UTC customers using V12 SQL Database in West US will experience failures when attempting to perform CRUD operations (create, rename, update or delete). Current SQL runtime operations are not impacted by this issue. We have identified a potential root cause, and are working to restore service. The next update will be provided in 60 minutes.

Regards,

Mekh. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 4:09am

No or primary database is in US North Central, though we have a replica in US West. We've been seeing this error consistently since migration last Thursday (a week ago).

Any other thoughts?

May 29th, 2015 11:04am

We are getting a lot of "Client disconnected during login" on several databases in EU West today.

It started 2315UTC yesterday and it is still happening, so something is obviously wrong, but azure service dashboard has nothing.

June 16th, 2015 7:49am

We are getting a lot of "Client disconnected during login" on several databases in EU West today.

It started 2315UTC yesterday and it is still happening, so something is obviously wrong, but azure service dashboard has nothing.

We have not resolved it but have a mitigation in place. It is a transient error so we've added the error code to our list of retriable errors and redeployed our systems. All is well now. We're logging the event but retrying the database operation and so far it succeeds on the first retry every time.

The Azure SQL DB team is aware of the issue and working on a fix, but I have no idea when that will come. If you all are not content with retrying the error I would suggest you submit a support ticket so that Microsoft can gauge how often it is being seen and how bothered customers are by it.

June 16th, 2015 1:41pm

We have not resolved it but have a mitigation in place. It is a transient error so we've added the error code to our list of retriable errors and redeployed our systems. All is well now. We're logging the event but retrying the database operation and so far it succeeds on the first retry every time.

The Azure SQL DB team is aware of the issue and working on a fix, but I have no idea when that will come. If you all are not content with retrying the error I would suggest you submit a support ticket so that Microsoft can gauge how often it is being seen and how bothered customers are by it.

It seems to be resolved today on Japan East.

June 17th, 2015 1:26am

Did you get this resolved?

I am experiencing the exact same problem on a EU West database today. There is nothing on the service dashboard this time.

/ Johan

June 17th, 2015 3:36am

June 17th, 2015 3:48am

June 17th, 2015 3:55am

I'm facing to the same problem on Japan East (V12).
Audit log shows
"Err 26078, Level 14, State 1, Server SQL Azure, Line 1 Client disconnected during login"

Metrics shows 35% of connection failed.
I can't find the detail of error code 26078.

June 17th, 2015 4:03am

Yes, same thing in West Europe this morning.
June 17th, 2015 4:04am

my webapp needed a restart to be okay again
June 17th, 2015 4:46am

We also see these issues in some of our West EU V12 databases. Right now it looks like only our databases using multiple active result sets in their connection strings are affected, but it may not be related.

June 17th, 2015 4:47am

While waiting for response from ms support, I tried reconfigure to not use MARS, and it did definitely help, thanks.
June 17th, 2015 5:47am

We have been having this issue as well in EU West for a couple of days. They were quite regular yesterday. I'm still gettings these although it feels to happen less often now.

• Edited by mikkark Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:16 AM
June 17th, 2015 6:13am

We have been having this issue as well in EU West for a couple of days. They were quite regular yesterday. I'm still gettings these although it feels to happen less often now.

We are also facing this many times today, and we first encountered this problem yesterday. Our database location is West Europe.
June 17th, 2015 6:37am

Hi all, 

im having the same problem in EU West.

June 17th, 2015 7:05am

June 17th, 2015 9:40am

June 17th, 2015 9:46am

June 17th, 2015 9:26pm

June 17th, 2015 9:32pm

June 18th, 2015 2:12am

June 18th, 2015 2:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics