After uninstalling .NET 3.51 updates, 2008R2 only boots to recovery
History: Dell T610 has some HW issues on the mirrored OS array. HW replacment and chkdsk seemed to resolve most issues. After 6 .NET 3.51 updates, unable to open Server Management. MMC crashed. Read about others this issue and specific KB. Also was unable to successfully perform sfc /scannow nor a system backup. (I do have a system state on an appliance server). CBS log showed issues with wuapi.dll and dual ownership warnings on language directories. Current: After uninstalling updates, server re-booted multiple times and ended on Recovery Console. Safe, Last Know good - no joy. From command prompt at X: drive, C: appears empty, D: data appears OK(different array), E: drive appears to be former C: drive with files in tact. Request: If possible, I would like to recover and repair this system. Significant software and configuration invested. I see some recommended options: bcgboot C:\windows, bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /rebuildbcd, bootrec /scanos, sfc /offbootdir, sfc /offwindir. I would like someone to explain what they expect happened, along with a possible recovery/repair strategy. Oh Joy! TY.
August 7th, 2012 8:55pm

Hello, I'd suggest let Dell professioinals have a complete hardware check of your T610 as the problems happended just after hardware replacement. To repair the current Windows installation, boot from the 2008R2 DVD and run In-place Upgrade. It will repair the system boot as well as the Windows system. Refer to: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099 Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 8th, 2012 7:25am

Zhang, Someone posted that an In-place can only be performed on a running system. If so, do you recommend running sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=e:\ /OFFWINDIR=e:\windows to make it bootable? Than you, Mike
August 8th, 2012 9:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics