After installed SP1 for SQL Server 2012, can no longer export to csv
After installing SP1 today via Windows Update, I am no longer able to export data to csv using the SQL Server Import and Export wizard. I get the following error message:

"Column information for the source and the destination data could not be retrieved, or the data types of source columns were not mapped correctly to those available on the destination provider."
"Column "col1": Source data type "200" was not found in the data type mapping file."...
(The above line repeats for each column)

The work-around I have to do is to manually map each column in the "Edit Mappings..." option from the "Configure Flat File Destination" page of the wizard. This is an extreme inconvenience to have to have to edit the mappings and change each column to "string [DT_STR]" type from "byte stream [DT_BYTES]" type each time I want to export to csv. I did not have to do this before installing SP1; it worked perfectly for months with hundreds of exports prior to this update and no need to modify mapping.
April 10th, 2013 12:32am

Can you show test data of the table? I could not reproduce this behavior on my machine.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 10th, 2013 2:22am

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, SQL Server 2012 Express edition. Again, just yesterday from Windows Update, I installed SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (KB2674319), followed by Update Rollup for SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (KB2793634). This situation was not occurring before these updates were installed, and I noticed it immediately after they were installed (and of course I restarted my computer after the updates).

In SSMS I just now created a test DB and table to provide a step-by-step with screenshots.

Here is the code I ran to create the test DB and table:

CREATE DATABASE testDB;
GO
USE testDB;
GO
CREATE TABLE testTable
(
    id int,
    lname varchar(50),
    fname varchar(50),
    address varchar(50),
    city varchar(50),
    state char(2),
    dob date
);
GO
INSERT INTO testTable VALUES
(1,'Smith','Bob','123 Main St.','Los Angeles','CA','20080212'),
(2,'Doe','John','555 Rainbow Ln.','Chicago','IL','19580530'),
(3,'Jones','Jane','999 Somewhere Pl.','Washington','DC','19651201'),
(4,'Jackson','George','111 Hello Cir.','Dallas','TX','20010718');
GO
SELECT * FROM testTable;

Results look good:

id    lname    fname    address    city    state    dob
1    Smith    Bob    123 Main St.    Los Angeles    CA    2008-02-12
2    Doe    John    555 Rainbow Ln.    Chicago    IL    1958-05-30
3    Jones    Jane    999 Somewhere Pl.    Washington    DC    1965-12-01
4    Jackson    George    111 Hello Cir.    Dallas    TX    2001-07-18

In Object Explorer, I right-click on the [testDB] database, choose "Tasks", then "Export Data..." and the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard appears. I click Next to leave all settings as-is on the "Choose a Data Source" page, then on the "Choose a Destination" page, under the "Destination" drop-down I choose "Flat File Destination" then browse to the desktop and name the file "table_export.csv" then click Next. On the "Specify Table Copy or Query" page I choose "Write a query to specify the data to transfer" then click Next. I type the following SQL statement:

SELECT * FROM testTable;

When clicking the "Parse" button I get the message "This SQL statement is valid."

On to the next page, "Configure Flat File Destination" I try leaving the defaults then click Next. This is where I am getting the error message (see screenshot below):

Then going to the "Edit Mappings..." option on the "Configure Flat File Destination" page, I see that all columns which were defined as varchar in the table are showing as type "byte stream [DT_BYTES]", size "0", the state column which is defined as char(2) shows correctly however with type "string [DT_STR]", size "2" (see screenshow below):

So what I have to do is change the type for the lname, fname, address and city columns to "string [DT_STR]", then I am able to proceed with the export successfully. Again, this just started happening after installing these updates. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating, as I do a lot of exports from many tables, with a lot more columns than this test table.

Thanks for your help.

April 11th, 2013 6:19am

I have the same problem. Only some columns are set to string, most columns are byte stream and it seems that behaviour is inconsistent and does not seem to depend on data type.

This occurs when I use Write Query for export, not Copy Table.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2013 10:30am

I had the same issue and it works after fine after I click on Edit Mappings and click on OK without any manual assignments for each column.
March 19th, 2015 6:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics