After adding x64 printer drivers local printer spooler on x86 workstations crashes lot of times
Hello, We have an environment with 1500 workstation. We have 1 active directory and 30 locations with each a domain controller. The domain controlllers are also File Servers and Print servers. The domain controllers are Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x(86) Our workstation have as operating system Windows xp x(86) sp3 or Windows Vista x(86) sp2. Now we will deploy workstations with Windows 7 x64. All our printers (277) have only installed an x(86) printer driver. So we need to update this drivers else we cannot print in Windows 7 x64 I have added 1 new x64 printer driver to an Canon IR5065 multifunctional printer Newest plc5e driver. I did the following to add the printer driver I downloaded the printerdriver On the server i started Print Management. I choose print server and the drivers. At drivers i select add driver. At Processor and Operating system selection i choose for "X64 Windows Xp and Windows server 2003" no other options with x64 are availible. Then i added the correct driver. After i finished this i can install the printer on my x64 system, and it works fine But at all the other workstations x(86) the local printer spooler crashes very often. Users then need to restart their printer spooler or their system. How can i fix this problem.
November 29th, 2010 1:29pm

Hello, this sounds for me like a driver mismatch between the old and now new driver. Make sure to use also the newest available drivers for the x86 system, if possible the same version as for the 64bit version. Strange sounds for me that the XP/2003 64bit version works with Windows 7 64bit. Is there no 64bit version for Windows Vista/Windows 7 available?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2010 3:26pm

Hi, As “Meinolf Weber” mentioned, the cause should be the mismatch printer drivers. Please understand that the drivers for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 may be incompatible with Windows 7 and the drivers for x64 operating systems may be incompatible with x86 operating systems. Based on the current situation, please contact the printer vendors for the compatible drivers. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 30th, 2010 2:38am

The drivers were indeed not the same versions. I have adapted this. No we are testing this solutions by some users, until now the problem is solved.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2010 2:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics