Affected User in Incident, created by mail, is wrong

Hi!

We have setup SCSM so that Incident are created when mail are droped in the mail drop folder. This solution has worked great until SP1.

After we have updated to SP1 the Incident are still created but the Affected user are set to the same person (which seems to be a random one) no matter what the "from" field in the mail is set to.

The person that is assigned as affected user has nothing to do with the mail at all. If we place a mail with an invalid mail address in the "from" field an incident are still created (i.e. not placed in the bad drop folder) and has the same person mentioned above in the affected user.

I've checked that there are no other workflows changing the field and the history of the Incident says that the Affected user field is only set once.

Do anyone has any clue for the reason of this very strange behaviour?

March 14th, 2011 8:28am

Hi masus,

To the "from" field is a user that exists on SCCM ? If you have imported users from AD it should be a user that has mail address in mail field. Or you can create a user in SCCM and give notification email for that user.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 14th, 2011 8:53pm

Hi

I have seen this before.
In my case the from field in the EML file was missing <> around the emailaddress when the mail was sent from any system but Outlook.
If I edited the EML file on the SMTP server, with < before the address and > efter the address it worked.
So our solution was to create a script that adds <> if it was missing.

I guess that you don´t have Exchange 2007 SP1 or 2010 so you can´t run the new Exchange connector instead of the SMTP server?

March 14th, 2011 9:59pm

Indeed! That was the reason! Thank you very much!

Shouldn't this be considered as a major bug in the way SCSM handle emails?

I've made a complete clean SCSM installation. Before SP1 everything work as you would expect. After SP1 the Incident are created with a totally unrelated affected user. Only by adding "<" and ">" to the from mail, as Stefan suggested, the mail handling starts to work as before.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 15th, 2011 9:04am

Thanks, Stefan Allansson.

The same situation with IBM Lotus Notes.

March 10th, 2015 11:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics