Advice
I havebought40 brand newservers (to be put into our server farm with 50 other servers)which came preloaded with windows 2003 enterprise x64, i bought these all from dell, each of them has 128GB ram and8 intel xeons in them, and i reserved 20 of them for when the new windows 2007 server comes in, and turned 10 of them into a exchange back-end cluster (exchange 2007 :D), and turned 3 of them into domain controllers and the other 7 are terminal servers now. I have just noticed that i have 2 really powerful spare servers which we used to use for oracle, but then changed to MS-SQL 2005 and put them onto two different servers, these powerful servers have 512GB ram and 64 intel xeons in tthem(windows 2003 datacenter x64 on them now), we are wondering if we should save them for when longhorn gets releases and make them terminal servers(we cannot upgrade our old terminal servers as we require them for our thin clients), but we dont know whether windows 2007 datacentre will be supported as a terminal server, or not. Also where can we get pre-release longhorn servers, as we want to evaluate them with our brand new windows vista workstations, and see how good they are compared to windows 2003 and 2000( we still have 13 windows 2000 servers lol), and when will it be released
February 21st, 2007 3:25pm

I dont know where you work but i would love to see your servers :) very nice specs If you get a msdn or technet subscription you can download beta2 to test ps: if you need to get rid of those two servers and dont want to put them in the trashthen i have room for them in my basement ;)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2007 11:51am

Thanx i just got a bet just now. Just one thing though, what is the point of all the vista graphics and all the other vista stuff in the server edition of windows. A server is designed for the demands of a company not the way the GUI looks!!! So please microsoft just concentrate on the SERVER side of the OS not the user interface, as normal users dont even touch servers, as they are only supposed to work with their own workstation, which runs vista !!! Other than this i look forward to implementing that huge list of new features!!!( they are already useful in our test domain) lets hope microsoft do a good job with this server OS, as this beta already gives me a good impression about the new os! Oh and when will this be released to public as final copy? I work as a software programmer. database programmer and as a network admin (i know thats a lot for one person but i dont mind) her in England for HSBC, cannot say anymore or ill god knows whatll happen to me lol
February 23rd, 2007 8:02pm

The real "vista" graphics (Aero Glass) have been left out of the server product. The rest of the stuff you see is pretty much the same stuff included before, some of it just looks a little nicer. A lot of the old 640x480 era wallpapers and desktops are gone in favor of new higher res more colorful stuff but believe me when I say that compared to the effort they put into Aero Glass, its nothing.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2007 2:52am

Yeh i know they have left the proper vista graphics out of the server, but there is still a lot of graphics in there, and none of my servers have a decent monitor, and i access them via RDP or VNC so i dont really want 1600 x 1200 vista graphics, i want 800 x 600 NT4 graphics. Its all good vista having that amazing graphics and the support for things like directx 10.0 (i am using vista on a lot of my new computers now, and i like vista a lot too) but the server version does not matter much! On a good note on the server OS its new terminal services is really useful, and means we dont have to dish out $$$ for expensive stuff like CITRIX, we are already test driving the new server terminal services on 50 of our thin client users and 100 of our remote users, and it is a lot better than citrix in terms of performance, and it is secure and it has all the features you ever need!(i was looking forward to new terminal services!) My opinion on new server is very good so far, it is very secure, very rich in features and very stable (and it is still a beta, and it never crashes and does not give any crazy errors, and it feels faster than win2003)
March 5th, 2007 7:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics