Administrative User access denied

So, this is an annoyance that I have worked around for some time. But as we are fixing our Administrative user access (renaming the admin account and resetting the password to something obnoxious), I am using my DA account far more often, and this (problem below) begins to take up A LOT of time. The issue is this;

I am a Domain Admin.  The folders all have access granted to the Administrator group.  But when I go to access the folder (Search or navigate or anything) I am blocked with a popup, and told I have to grant my specific user account access before I can continue.  With large file systems, this can take a lot of time.

What I want is the local administrators (Local admin, DA's, ect.) to be able to transparently access everything they have rights to. 

• Is this the UAC that is causing the problem?
  • Can I turn off the popup's and leave the UAC on?
  • I need these changes across hundreds of servers, how can I make them (GPO, logon script, reg key, ect..)?
September 1st, 2015 7:34pm

Hey, it the file and printer sharing enabled on the firewalls? Also, did you add the domain admins group to the local administrators group of each machine?
  • Proposed as answer by Gramelot Tuesday, September 01, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by BlankMonkey Wednesday, September 02, 2015 6:32 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 9:25pm

Hi BlankMonkey,

Thanks for your post.

It may be related to UAC. If Administrators group has Full Control on those folders and you are a member of Administrators group, with UAC enabled, this kind of issue will occur as your account actually running as a standard user while only Admins have permission to access the folder.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826699(v=vs.85).aspx

Could you please add the specific accounts to Security tab with Full Control permission with a test?

And also test if it works: create a new group, add all admin account to the group, with full control about the folder.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

September 2nd, 2015 8:24am

Thank you, let me see and I will post back.  it is a busy day :(

September 2nd, 2015 6:34pm

What??

This has nothing to do with network access, shares, or firewall.

September 2nd, 2015 6:34pm

• Could you please add the specific accounts to Security tab with Full Control permission with a test?

This will work.  In fact when I go to access a folder that I am not explicitly on, it will add my user ID to the root privs for the entire structure, that is what takes a lot of time, on big folders.  But after I am explicitly there, then I can do what I need to do.

• And also test if it works: create a new group, add all admin account to the group, with full control about the folder.

This Also works.  It is only if the Local Administrators group is defined, that I get these pop ups and security inheritance changes.  Like being the local administrator has no rights to view, but only to add other rights.  But it does!!  I highly suspect the UAC >:(

September 2nd, 2015 6:49pm

Hi BlankMonkey,

This is because all accounts in local Administrators group are working as standard accounts. When an Administrator action need to be performed, a prompt will occurs for permission to promote to admin permission. As only Administartors group has permission on a folder and the account we are using is working like a standard account, we will be denied from accessing.

You may also check the link I post before. And you may also check the thread discussed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fedbb110-556d-4d2f-83bb-fb679c125cc3/windows-server-2012-uac-folder-problem?forum=winserverfiles

Hope it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

September 10th, 2015 9:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics