Admin user can remote desktop but cannot login directly to Windows Server 2003 server.
I have a user that is a member of the administrators group and the "remote desktop users" group. This user can login to a remote desktop session. But when I attempt to login on the computer's console I am unable to. The message says something about not being able to log in virtually. The event viewer shows a successful login at the time that we are unsuccessful. Similarly, when logged into a workstation, this user is unable to map any of the server's shared folders. The message is "access denied", even though this user does have explicit share permission and read/write/execute permission on the folder. I have created an almost identical user (with a 2 on the end of the user name) and this user is able to do all 3 things: remote desktop, map shared folders and login to the console. What could be wrong with the main user - they used to be able to log into the console?
February 3rd, 2011 10:29pm

I'd check all of the "deny" permissions in local security policy. Also when you try again please get the exact text of any error messages. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 3rd, 2011 10:53pm

That was it. I can only suspect that crwsync changed added these deny entries when I installed it and added this same user as crwsync's controlling user. Thanks.
February 7th, 2011 10:44pm

Good to hear its sorted. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 7th, 2011 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics