Adding windows 7 client to Server 2003 domain
I am having problems joining my new windows 7 worstations to the dns on a server 2003. When I try to change from workgroup to domain, it gives me the following error:DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain "northvalleyhonda.com": The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.northvalleyhonda.com The following domain controllers were identified by the query:lsserver.northvalleyhonda.com However no domain controllers could be contacted.I have tried manually inputing my dns IP and manually changing the dns suffix on the worstation.
January 29th, 2010 10:54pm

Have you also verified in the DNS zone that there is a host (A) record for lsserver.northvalleyhonda.com?If so, can you at the very least PING that IP address from the PC trying to join the domain?manually changing the dns suffix has nothing to do with domain membership in regards to joining the domain. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2010 2:40am

Hello, I have the same problem as well... But i'm trying to connect a win7 to a win2k8r2 DC. Lets supose that my.domain.controler.com is the DC returned by the SRV query. From the win7 box I can ping and remote desktop to the my.domain.controler.com... So, lack of connectivity isn't the issue. Can you help me please? Best Regards,
June 22nd, 2010 8:52pm

Hello, I've found out what was the problem. First things first, I'm using a custom DNS, not the one from AD. I've configured the SRV records nice and properly, but my problem with the lack of connectivity was the NetBios Hostname of the machine. When a client tries to register in a Active Directory, it tries to solve the SRV record on the DNS, after that he does a CLDAP query to the DC that the SRV record returned to see specifically where does he have to register himself. The response of that CLDAP query comes with the NetBios Hostname of the DC, which in my case, didn't bothered to properly configure. I didn't have the win-ergiuasehnrkgjfiujskdf.my.domain.com on my dns, hence all the problems I've had. Hope this helps whoever is having troubles with this issue. Cheers PS: All hail to wireshark!
June 25th, 2010 2:26pm

Hi! I have a similar problem can be me more like you solved it Thank you!
October 19th, 2010 11:32pm

I am having the same exact issue as "christie74" I can RDP into the machine using IP address i assigned it but when i try to ping it from client maching i get request time out. My server is connected to verizon fios router. i have a forward zone for router ip 192.168.1.1 and ISP DNS server address. This is the error i get. Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt. DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain "kingkoopa.castle": The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.kingkoopa.castle The following domain controllers were identified by the query: bowsersdomain.kingkoopa.castle However no domain controllers could be contacted. Common causes of this error include: - Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses. - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.
November 8th, 2010 11:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics