Adding multiple user accounts in Windows 2008 server that is not running ADDS
I have created a new Windows 2008 R2 server. Previously, in W2K3, I used a .cmd file - net user <userid> <password> /add /expires:never /passwordchg:no to create multiple users. This script does not work in W2K8 and I cannot find any help that does not reference account creation in ADDS. I have to create 150 accounts for classroom use. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
August 18th, 2011 1:01pm

Please post the actual script. The command you typed would create local accounts on the host from which it was executed. You would need to specify the "/DOMAIN" switch to create accounts in AD.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2011 1:34pm

Thank you for replying. However, there is no domain and no AD. I am not trying to create accounts in AD as it does not exist. The script is: net user act46 1234 /add /expires:never /passwordchg:no net user act47 1234 /add /expires:never /passwordchg:no This created user: act46 with password 1234 where the password never expires and the user cannot change the password. Then it created user: act47 with password 1234, etc., when I ran it on a W2K3 server. When I try to run the same script on a W2K8 SE server, even if I run it as administrator, no accounts are created.
August 18th, 2011 1:54pm

Hi, This problem will occur if the password does not meet the password policy requirements. Let’s follow the steps below to test it: 1. Start –- All Programs – Accessories. Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator". This is necessary. 2. Type the following command line and press enter: net user act46 1234 /add /expires:never /passwordchg:no What’s the result? If you receive a warning such as "The password does not meet the password policy requirements", please change the password in the command line to meet the policy, or change the password policy. For more information about password policy, refer to the following article: Change password policy settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-password-policy-settings It also applies for Windows Server 2008 R2. Regards, Bruce Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
August 18th, 2011 10:38pm

Thank you for replying. Since this was a new classroom, the system setup had been changed and I needed to change the username and password. I typed cmd in the search box, then hit CTRL+SHIFT+Enter to open the command prompt as administrator. I did eventually receive the above message and changed the password and password policy. The script finally ran and created the accounts.
August 19th, 2011 8:01am

Glad to hear the information I provided was useful. If you have more questions in the future, you're welcomed to this forum. Have a nice day.
August 19th, 2011 11:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics