Adding an additional listener

Hi,

We have a server A and a server B setup with SQL2014 High Availability - working fine.

I need to add an additional listener to our new DR site (SQLNODECOLO). 

What is the best way to do this without impacting production?

Can I just go to server A and add the new listener server here (SQLNODECOLO):

September 1st, 2015 2:24pm

You can only have one listener per AG group. So if you already have one listener in your AG configuration, you will not be able to add a second listener, you can add a second IP address to your existing listener, or a DNS alias on the DR side if needed.

HTH

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 3:04pm

HTH,

My mistake I should have said I need to add an additional listener.

Can I do that as described above?

September 1st, 2015 3:20pm

Actually this is not true SQLGru... You can have as many listeners as you like on an AG, we use multiple ones in a lot of cases. The key piece though is that in case of a failover those listeners need to be able to come online on the new server... So if your DR site uses a different IP range then the right approach is to add the DR sites IP Address to the existing listener and add MultiSubnetFailover=true to all connection strings. (Otherwise you will end up with some bad connection problems once you add the IP...)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 3:47pm

My bad, i should have been more clear, you can have multiple listeners, you would  have to create them from WFC as client access points first.  And you can only create one listener per AG group from SQL.

And your also bring up a very good point about listeners being able to come online on DR side :)

September 1st, 2015 4:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics