Adding a user to query based distribution group
I have a query based Distribution Group that filters to a specific OU with users accounts in it. So email sent to that group (warehouse mail group) will include everyone in the OU. I have two additional users that are in another OU that need to receive emails sent to that group as well, but that's where the problem comes in. Since they're not part of that OU they wont receive the email, being a query based group. I tried to add the two email accounts if I customize the filter in the query based group but it doesnt work, the preview tab is blank. How can I add these two users accounts to the group so they can receive the emails as well?
June 25th, 2010 9:26pm

Hi, It might take a little bit of testing and can't be guaranteed, but have you tried modifying the msExchDynamicDLFilter attribute of the distribution group with ADSI Edit? See: http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/ldap/q-how-can-i-use-an-or-logic-statement-to-create-a-query-based-distribution-group-dg-.aspx -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 9:50pm

Also, if you want to paste the current filter and the usernames that you want to add, we can try to help you modify the filter. -- Mike Burr
June 25th, 2010 9:52pm

This is the current LDAP string as it is filtered to the OU, which works fine: (&(!cn=SystemMailbox{*})(&(&(|(&(objectCategory=person)(objectSid=*)(!samAccountType:1.2.840.113556.1.4.804:=3))(&(objectCategory=person)(!objectSid=*))(&(objectCategory=group)(groupType:1.2.840.113556.1.4.804:=14)))(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=contact))(objectCategory=group) ))))) This is how it looks when I add the two users email addresses and the preview tab is now blank: (&(!cn=SystemMailbox{*})(&(&(&(|(&(objectCategory=person)(objectSid=*)(!samAccountType:1.2.840.113556.1.4.804:=3))(&(objectCategory=person)(!objectSid=*))(&(objectCategory=group)(groupType:1.2.840.113556.1.4.804:=14)))(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=contact))(objectCategory=group) )))(objectCategory=user)(mail=jadams@test123.com)(mail=jjones@test123.com)))) I went to customize filter>Advance Tab>Field>user>email address. Then I added the exact email addresses. I'll look into that article you posted. Thanks for the replyand the help, I really apprecite that!
June 25th, 2010 10:06pm

Hi, Have you tried creating a distribution group in the OU that you are searching for the mail recipients, I did a little bit of research and we are likely not going to be able to create a filter that includes the users from the other OU, but we can create a static distribution group (with the users in the other OUs as members) that we can add to the filter, possibly without needing to custom modify the LDAP filter that the distribution group uses. -- Mike Burr
June 25th, 2010 11:45pm

Can you please explain that a little more? Thanks alot for the persistence.
June 26th, 2010 1:09am

Hi, As the issue is more related to Exchange Server, I would like to suggest that you initiate a new thread in our Exchange forum for better and accurate answer to the question. The community members and support professionals there are more familiar with Exchange Server and can help you in a more efficient way. For your convenience, I have listed the Forum link below: Exchange Server 2010 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchange2010 Exchange Server http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver Sincerely, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 28th, 2010 6:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics