Adding a printer to Print Management question
This is going to sound weird, but working where I work, there is no shortage of weird issues...I'm running a win2k8 std server for a print server, all the printers/copiers, from all the subnets work great EXCEPT one.The infamous "Procolor"This unit is some giant copy machine, that is some brand Im not sure of from Ikon, some IKON PowerPro 500 Computer attaches via what looks like SCSI to the printer.. anywho, long story short, for the standard user using xp lets say, in order to install this printer, they goto //procolor in and browse to //procolor/printers/ and they right click on PROCOLOR_ProcessPrint and click connect, and viola, its now an installed printer.This is where things get difficult to me, I can do the same thing on the printserver, it shows up under installed printers, it even says its shared. but I cannot for the life of me, get it to install in the printer list that is for the users whom are using my print server.Is there something I am missing? Can you share a shared printer? Manually adding the printer is a no no, it doesnt have any clue what type of interface to choose, and all that I try does not work directly, even selecting lpd and port 9100 doesnt work.Any ideas? It's kind of silly knowing i can install this printer to the server, but it wont work as a printer for other users, it doesnt show up in the IIS printer list.
August 15th, 2009 5:38am

I just wanted to add to this mess...To simplify the above. The way the printer normally is installed is, to basically map the printer vs installing it.So I did map it, (connect to) and it shows up under printers (local) and will not show up in the printers (under print services)The printer options are set to shared, but these options (even though i right clicked the printer installed on my computer) seem to change the options on the share via the pc attached to the printer.So all in all, it works printing to it from the server, but the moment I try printing from anywhere else (through my printserver) it spools, goes into the queue and errors out. no error message anywhere in the event viewer.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2009 1:06am

Hi customer,The issue seems to be relate to printer, for quick and accurate response of it, it is recommended that you post it in Print/Fax forumhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/threadshope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 7th, 2009 2:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics