Adding a Registry Key via Group Policy on Windows server 2008 R2

Hi all;

I need to add the following Registry Key and values to several PCs across the network, I tried doing so via a logon script and via Registry Preferences through GP but it didn't work!

Method 1: Logon script:

regedit.exe /S \\bbk-files\BBK Templates\slxbasic.reg

The slxbasic.reg contains the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SalesLogix\ADOLogin\Connection1]
"Alias"="BBKSLX_PRODUCTION"
"Provider"="SLXOLEDB.1"
"Initial Catalog"="BBKSLX_PRODUCTION"
"Data Source"="BBK-SLX1"
"DBUser"=""
"Extended Properties"="PORT=1706;LOG=ON"

Method 2: GP Preference:

I add the above mentioned values via the GP Preference for the Registry and still didn't work, I also tried the Registry wizard and imported the required Registry info from another PC and still didn't work.

When I check the GP result for the required PCs, I see that the GP is applied, but when I check the registry, I don't find the required values their!

Please help.

April 10th, 2014 4:28pm

For option 1:

The regfile looks fine. Does it work when you run the regedit command manually, when being logged on as the user you want to apply the settings to?? Does the user have permissions on the location \\bbk-files\BBK Templates\ Can the user browse the location and open the file? For option 2: You say you check the the GP result for the PC, but here you want to add settings to a USER, not a PC. So I think you linked the GPO to the OU where the computerobject is located. Instead you should link the GPO to the OU where the useraccount is located.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 10th, 2014 5:11pm

Thanks for the reply, the GPO is applied on the domain level, it's not linked to a specific OU, and it's enabled and enforced.

Users have permissions on the shred drive and can navigate to the location and run the .reg file manually.

When I'm processing a GP results report, I'm processing it for a certain PC and a certain user, and I look at the User's applied policies and I can find the policy there.

April 10th, 2014 6:34pm

Hi,

>>When I'm processing a GP results report, I'm processing it for a certain PC and a certain user, and I look at the User's applied policies and I can find the policy there.

How is the issue going? Are we still unable to see the value in the Registry?

>>Users have permissions on the shred drive and can navigate to the location and run the .reg file manually.

After we ran the script manually, did we check the Registry to see if the value had been changed?

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2014 5:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics