Adding Svr 08 R2 to existing Domain.  Getting DNS error on dcpromo
Hey Guys, I’m currently running a domain with one server 2003 and one server 2008. I’m trying to install a new DC running Svr08 R2. While trying to run the dcpromo, I get to the point where it’s asking if I want to add the additional options of DNS Server and Global Catalog. While leaving both of these items checked, when I click on next I get a notification box that says… “A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run Windows DNS Server. If you are integrating with an existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the domain “mydomain.com”. Otherwise no action is required.” Do you want to continue? As I said, I already have a 2003 and 2008 DC running with DNS running on both. The primary and secondary DNS numbers on the 2008R2 box I’m trying to promote are set to those two other servers. If I just continue, will I not be setting up a DC with no DNS? Thanks guys…
September 9th, 2010 3:43pm

Hi, Thank you for your post here. You can click Yes to pass the notification safely in the one forest ad one domain scenarios. If the DNS service is not installed, you may manually add the DNS role after you finish the Dcpromo process. Known Issues for Installing and Removing AD DS---> Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (Dcpromo.exe) issues http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754463(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Dcpromo
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2010 6:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics