Adding Server 2012 R2 HNV gateway - tests failed

Hello,

I'm trying to add a windows 2012 R2 VM (which has RRAS remote access and routing roles installed) to server as a gateway in VMM, to handle traffic for some test VM networks I've created.

The topology consists of the following:

GatewayVM - not on any domain, three nics,

- NIC1 - Management NIC - used to communicate with VMM

-  NIC2 - not connected to VM network, but connected to the datacenter Logical switch which VM networks live on

- NIC3 - connected to the DMZ network network

Gateway Host  - setup as dedicated host for gatway

VMM - 2 nics, CORP (connects to host) and Mgmt (connects to GatewayVM).

Other hosts that host VMs -There are other hosts which are managed by VMM that have the datacenter virtual switch setup on them and host VMs in their own VM networks (communication between VMs is possible, even in different subnets).

I have a local account I've created on both the Gateway Host and the Gateway VM. Reason for this is that the gateway VM is not on the domain that the gateway host is on. I've added this account as run-as account in VMM.

I then try to  add the gateway via Fabric > Network Service > New network service using the following:

Manufacturer/Model - Microsoft / Microsoft Windows Server Gateway

Credentials - The runAs account

Connection String - VMHost=GatewayHostFQDN;GatewayVM=GatewayVMNameFQDN

PROBLEM : Unfortunately when I run the tests in the add network service wizard I get 3 failures for 'Test Open Connection', Test capability discovery and Test System Info.

If I try to add the gateway anyway I get the following  error:

---------------------------
Virtual Machine Manager
Unable to connect to the network service. Check connection string and network connectivity. Error Execution of Microsoft.SystemCenter.NetworkService::OpenDeviceConnection on the configuration provider 4ee559f1-f479-480c-9458-d14b8b1c1779 failed. Detailed exception: Microsoft.VirtualManager.Utils.CarmineException: Unable to connect to the gateway device. Error Access is denied.

Fix the issue on gateway device.

Check the documentation for the configuration provider or contact the publisher support.

Unable to connect to the network service. Check connection string and network connectivity.

ID: 50000
OK  

I see successful logns in the gateway security event viewer, and am stumped as to what the issue might be. Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Max

• Edited by Maxim M Friday, March 20, 2015 3:34 PM
March 20th, 2015 3:32pm

Hello, got this fixed. Turns out I did not enable remote powershell......... Ran the command 'enable-PSRemoting' in elevated powershell command window on the gateway and the tests passed.

Cheers,

Max

• Edited by Maxim M Friday, March 20, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Marked as answer by Maxim M Friday, March 20, 2015 6:16 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2015 6:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics