Adding SQL instance to existing installation, no media
Hi.  I have an existing, licensed installation of SQL 2008 R2, with one database instance.  I need to add a second instance, but do not currently have access to the installation media.  Can I use the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation: Trial Experience for IT Professionals installer that's available for download from the Microsoft download site?
September 2nd, 2015 5:09pm

I would give it a try using the evaluation media.  I believe that all the installation media are the same.  The only real difference is the license key that activate features to each edition.  Within the SQL Server installation media, I believe that the license key is what determines the edition installed and not the actual installation media.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 5:43pm

If you do not have access to the previous installed media here is the solution you can try.

first get the existing product for your installed sql server using the below link.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-SQL-Server-Product-4b5bf4f8

Then download "SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation" as you mentioned above.

While installing instead of choosing evaluation edition you can use the product key to install.

I am sure it will let you install. Please read more on Microsoft website for Licensing Terms and conditions.

Good luck.

September 2nd, 2015 6:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics