Add customer code to identify

Hello,

I need to extend SCOM 2012 in order to add a customer number identifier. This is to help us match SCOM information with customer information from other systems when the information is extracted for analysis.

I am trying to see the best place for this information to be added, but apparently SCOM only supports custom fields in alerts, isn't that so?

In fairness it would be best if we could add such field at a higher level of aggregation. Say for instance, at GROUP level. So this way we can find out all objects that belong to a customer through a simple relationship lookup.

I wonder if this is at all possible? If not with groups, perhaps with another MANY-to-ONE relationship that could be used to identify customers?

Regards,

P.

September 10th, 2015 5:17am

Hi

One option would be to have a gateway in each customer environment and use the site code attribute.

Although you can use custom fields, how are you going to relate each alert to a particular customer for alerts that are not computer specific or don't contain computer information at all e.g. some AD alerts.

You'll need to be very careful here to ensure that you don't mistakenly expose one customers data to another customer. The safest mechanism would be a management group per customer. If you want to start storing multiple customers data together in one database then you might want to work with a partner who has already done this and can work through the intricacies with you.

Regards

Graham 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 5:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics