Add Physical Disk to VM

Hyper-V 2012 R2. We have a SE3016 JBOD devices that hooked up to the physical server via SAS 6mbps HBA. On the physical server (2012 r2 core), diskpart lists the disk as offline. In hyper-v manager in the settings of the VM, i have added the hard drive via scsi:

As you can see, the physical drive shows up in the settings. However, when i go into computer management of the VM, the drive is not listed there. The lights for the drive in the JBOD device is light-up and does not show any erros. I have rebooted the server and JBOD device. Still no drive in computer management of the VM.

Am i doing this process right to get the VM to see the drive? 

March 22nd, 2015 11:36pm

Is your VM clustered ?

Can you confirm that you are not able to see the disk on the Disk Management console ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2015 12:01am

Samir touched it.

In the OS of the VM have you opened disk manager and rescanned and then mounted the volume?

Or, are you just expecting automount (which might be off) to take care of doing everything automagically for you (it will not format your volume for you, and it may not automatically mount it either)

March 23rd, 2015 10:36am

Samir touched it.

In the OS of the VM have you opened disk manager and rescanned and then mounted the volume?

Or, are you just expecting automount (which might be off) to take care of doing everything automagically for you (it will not format your volume for you, and it may not automatically mount it either)

Yes but the drives never show up in computer management of the VM OS. Actually, now the core OS does not show any of the drives in the enclosure using diskpart. I have turned off the storage enclosure and rebooted the server. I have also installed the driver for the SAS 6gbps HBA and rebooted.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2015 9:22pm

Hi Sir,

Unfortunately there is no JBOD at hand in my lab for reproduce this . 

As I know , to take full advantage of JBOD you may try to use storage pool to create virtual disk then pass-through to VMs or store VM's vhd file :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/10/06/optimize-it-budgets-with-storage-spaces-in-windows-server-2012-31-days-of-favorite-features-part-6-of-31.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

March 24th, 2015 12:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics