Add-WindowsFeature, Get-WindowsFeature modules not recognized in powershell.
Hi, I have several Windows Server 2008 R2 servers running in a test lab environment. I have installed the RTM version of 2008 r2. I am building an exchange 2010 lab to test out the new features in it. I was doing some troubleshooting on some of the exchange processes and ran across a page using the Add-WindowsFeature cmdlet in powershell. However when I type in that command in powershell I get a message that says:

The term 'Add-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Ch
eck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:19
+ Add-WindowsFeature <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Add-WindowsFeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I am also getting the same message with the Get-WindowsFeature command.

What do I need to do on these servers to fix this?

Thanks.
February 2nd, 2010 4:14pm

You first need to run:
PS>import-module servermanager
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2010 4:18pm

That did it. What I want to know is why 3 hours of searching for that answer to that question is that isn't listed anywhere as having to use that command before you use Add-WindowsFeature or Get-WindowsFeature.

Anyways thanks for helping!
February 2nd, 2010 4:31pm

That did it. What I want to know is why 3 hours of searching for that answer to that question is that isn't listed anywhere as having to use that command before you use Add-WindowsFeature or Get-WindowsFeature.

Anyways thanks for helping!

A valid question that I can't exactly help to give an official answer.  That's how non-core-OS PowerShell features are added in v2.  Same for AD, IIS, Clustering, etc.
February 2nd, 2010 4:34pm

Well - and in way that makes sense to make powershell more flexible and dynamic. But so far I haven't really found any documentation relating which functions belong under which module blocks. Oh well, I guess it all is still pretty new.
February 2nd, 2010 4:46pm

Hi,

For your information, expert from the article below:

"You must load the Server Manager module into each new Windows PowerShell session before working with Server Manager cmdlets. To do this, in a Windows PowerShell session opened with elevated user rights, type Import-Module Servermanager, and then press ENTER."

What's New in Server Manager
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378896%28WS.10%29.aspx 

Thanks.

February 3rd, 2010 1:51am

You first need to run:
PS>import-module servermanager

can not run nor the features

PS C:\Users\Administrator> import-module servermanager
Import-Module : The specified module 'servermanager' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any modul
e directory.
At line:1 char:14
+ import-module <<<<  servermanager
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (servermanager:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Met
abase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compress
ion,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart
The term 'Add-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Ch
eck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:19
+ Add-WindowsFeature <<<<  NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,
Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Acti
vation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Add-WindowsFeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

guide please

February 1st, 2012 12:52am

You can list what modules are available by running:

get-module -list

ModuleType Name                      ExportedCommands
---------- ----                      ----------------
Manifest   ActiveDirectory           {}
Manifest   AppLocker                 {}
Manifest   BitsTransfer              {}
Manifest   PSDiagnostics             {}
Manifest   TroubleshootingPack       {}

I am on Win7 x64 SP1, so I do not have the server manager.

February 1st, 2012 1:47pm

Thanks Marco :D Solved :D

December 18th, 2012 8:39am

is this issue really resolved ??

we are hitting same issue again ..

please reply the solution

June 10th, 2015 11:10am

This thread has been closed for 5 years.  You need to start your own topic.
June 10th, 2015 11:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics