Active Directory Users & Computers freezes when we try to set a password
Hi everyone. When I run AD Users & Computers from one of my servers (not a DC), and I go to reset a password, as soon as I type the password in twice then click OK, the console freezes up. If I try it from another server (not a DC) it works fine. The machine is running Server 2003. Does anyone know how to fix this? The problem is just with that one server running AD U&C.
December 12th, 2012 12:23pm

to see if its a gui problem or a general problem, does resetting the password from the command line work on the server showing the problem? ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322684 )
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 12th, 2012 12:30pm

Hi FZB. I'm running the dsmod command now, and it appears to be frozen as well, it hasn't returned anything as of yet. I'll let it run, hopefully it will give me some sort of error message after some timeout period...
December 12th, 2012 12:34pm

Almost 40 minutes later, and it is still just sitting there, no error or anything returned. It hasn't given me the prompt back yet either.
December 12th, 2012 1:11pm

Had something wrong in my command, running again. I did a dsget to list a users groups to confirm my syntax is now right and got an instant response, now running the dsmod again and did not get an instant response. Hopefully I get some kind of error message back now that I have my distinguished name correct.
December 12th, 2012 1:33pm

Hi, Is the firewall active on this server?Baris Kayaturk www.kayaturk.net
December 12th, 2012 3:42pm

Nope, firewall is not running.
December 12th, 2012 4:18pm

Could you type the exact command that you are running?Baris Kayaturk www.kayaturk.net
December 12th, 2012 4:41pm

Well, it doesn't work through the AD U&C MMC or from the command line. And the first time i ran it, i had the distinguished name wrong, but I got that correct and confirmed it could find the account by doing a dsget to list my test user's group memberships, so I know that's correct now.
December 12th, 2012 4:44pm

Well, it doesn't work through the AD U&C MMC or from the command line. And the first time i ran it, i had the distinguished name wrong, but I got that correct and confirmed it could find the account by doing a dsget to list my test user's group memberships, so I know that's correct now.
December 13th, 2012 12:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics