Active Directory Not Replicating

Hey Guys,

I have a Windows 2012 server but it has a demo license, this is also my DC. I am trying to create another DC and let it replicate so I can license the new properly and stuff. I have the DNS of each server pointing to each other as the primary and themselves as the alternative. When I check my SYSVOL folder and go to domains, its empty, as I shutdown my original DC the other one the entries disappear and I get errors. When I go to the event log on my new DC I get errors with event IDs 1202 and 2213. Any assistance with this issue i'm having will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Regards,

Jevon.

April 27th, 2015 7:39pm

Check the License is expired or not first.

Upload the below outputs in Sky-drive & share the link here.

Run dcdiag, netdiag and repadmin in verbose mode.
-> DCDIAG /V /C /D /E
/s:yourdcname > c:\dcdiag.log
-> netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log (On
each dc)
-> repadmin.exe /showrepl * /verbose /all /intersite >
c:\repl.txt
A quick little dump repadmin /replsum >
c:\replsum.txt
-> ADReplStatus
-> dnslint /ad /s ip address of your
dc

https://dirteam.com/paul/2009/01/26/troubleshooting-active-directory-issues/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2015 10:24am

Please follow this , it should help  expecially this section:

For environments that have two domain controllers 

Determine whether a dirty shutdown was detected (event ID 2213) on either domain controller. You may find the second domain controller is waiting to complete initialization of SYSVOL, This is because after promotion, it will have logged a 4614 event that indicates that DFS Replication is waiting to perform initial replication, and it will not have logged a 4604 event signaling that DFS Replication has initialized SYSVOL.

If content freshness is enabled on both domain controllers

If the second domain controller is waiting to perform initial synchronization (event 4614 logged without the 4604 anti-event), follow the section of article 2218556 to set the first domain controller as authoritative. You do not have to configure the second domain controller as nonauthoritative, because it is already waiting to perform initial synchronization.

Or, if the second domain controller is healthy and SYSVOL is shared, perform the following steps:
  1. Back up all SYSVOL contents of the first domain controller.
  2. Evaluate if the second domain controller's SYSVOL data is up to date. If it is not, you may want to copy updated SYSVOL files to the second domain controller from the first domain controller. Otherwise, any existing data present on first domain controller not present on the second will go into the 'PreExisting' and 'Conflict and Deleted' folders.
  3. Set the first domain controller as nonauthoritative by disabling the membership per 2218556. Confirm that an event ID 4114 is logged to indicate the membership is disabled.
  4. Enable the first domain controller's membership, and wait for the 4614 and 4604 events that report completion of the initial synchronization. If it is necessary, restore any updated files from "PreExisting" to the original location.

If content freshness is not enabled or triggered on both domain controllers

If the first domain controller is in the event ID 2213 state and the second domain controller has never completed initialization after it was promoted and content freshness has not been triggered, perform the following steps:
  1. Run the ResumeReplication WMI method on the first domain controller as instructed in the 2213 event.
  2. After replication resumes, it will log an event ID 4602 that indicates that DFS Replication initialized the SYSVOL replicated folder and designated it as the primary member.
  3. Run the dfsrdiag pollad command on the second domain controller to trigger it to complete initial sync (event ID 4614). As soon as initial sync is finished, event ID 4604 is logged, signaling SYSVOL has completed initialization.

Or, if the first domain controller is in the 2213 state and the second domain controller is healthy (SYSVOL is shared), run theResumeReplication WMI method on the first domain controller. It will log event ID 2214 at the completion of dirty shutdown recovery.  
April 28th, 2015 10:36am

Hi Jevon303,

Thanks for your posting.

You could follow Aperellis reference to solve the problem. As he mentioned, you need to resume replication.

And before resuming replication. Please weigh your decision against the environment:

1.Are there originating files or modifications on this server?

You can use the DFSRDIAG BACKLOG command with this server as the sending member and each of its partners as the receiving member to determine if this server had any pending outbound replication.

2. Do you need an out of band backup?

You can check you latest backup logs and compare to file contents to see if you should first backup the RFs

3. Are the replicated folders read-only?

If so, there is little reason to examine the server further and you can resume replication. It is impossible for the RO RFs to have originated changes in that case.

For more information, please read the article http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2012/04/24/3493561.aspx

Best Regards

Mary Dong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2015 10:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics