Active Directory Migration
I wish to migrate domain controllers from one datacenter to another datacenter. However some applications are dependent on the name or ip address of the domain controllers. I cannot retain the name or ip address of the domain controllers as part of this project due to naming convention issues and network change. Hence in this case how can I ensure that the application dependent on the name or ip address of the domain controllers keep working without issues after the migration.
August 27th, 2015 2:26pm

Verify all your applications upfront that have LDAP strings and change them. 

How many Domain Controllers do you have?  What OS does the DCs run? How many Applications? 

A large scale environment can run logging to capture LDAP traffic, smaller just touch each application.

Therefore, since no same IP or DNS name, have both environments up simultaneously.  Then power off old domain controllers to see what breaks. 

Best way is to put the responsibility of the application on SME for the application.  They should know how their application uses LDAP/AD.  I know the AD admin will get blamed but best effort for help from application team is warranted.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 3:42pm

There are 30 domain controllers with around 1600 applications. The domain controllers are running on Windows Server 2008. Since the number of applications is very high is there any other way to perform the migration without causing any problem to the applications...?
August 28th, 2015 12:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics