Active Directory Manipulation Question

Hi All, 

I am trying to identify computer names from a Security Group in Active Directory that holds all of their user names automatically.  Can this be done? 

Thanks in advance, 

D

• Edited by Dnap941 9 hours 6 minutes ago
September 9th, 2015 5:51pm

A list of things you want to accomplish isn't a question. Please start by reading the following:
The above articles will help you to focus on a specific question and how to ask it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 5:57pm

How are you going to know what the department is?

September 9th, 2015 6:00pm

Let me rephrase my question. 

Is it possible within AD to take users that are located in a user group and find their computer name and pair them up? 

September 9th, 2015 6:04pm

Yes if you have a known fixed naming convention.

What have you tried?

September 9th, 2015 6:18pm

I haven't.  I'm not exactly sure what I should be searching for on this type of issue.  This kind of work is all new to me.  Are there any articles you can point me too? Much appreciated. 

Our naming convention varies from department to department.  The pool of users in the group I mentioned up above are mixed departments unfortunately.  e.g. some people have HQ-username while others have draft-username and etc. Will this not work then? 

Thanks again,

Dominick 

September 9th, 2015 8:24pm

Your issue is too specific for articles but you can start here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd793612.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

September 9th, 2015 8:33pm

You will need to break down your goal into manageable steps, and you will also need to learn what steps can be automated with script. In order to know this, you will need to learn the technologies you're being asked to manage. There is no web site out there where someone has foreknowledge of your environment and has written code that exactly matches your specific scenario. You will simply have to dig in and start learning. We all start somewhere.
September 9th, 2015 11:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics