Activation error
Hi I have a windows 2008 server in a virtual machine which has been activated and when I install the xentools(citrix virtual machine) for this machine and after the installation its requesting for another activation and my virtual licence key is not getting activated and with the physical key only i can activate it again. The Question is why I cannot activate my windows 2008serverwhich has been already activated with the same virtual key is not getting activated again. please give me a solution.Thanks Raj
November 30th, 2009 2:08pm

hi i am send you same links that will help you for you activation key and also you can check wather that the key is activated or not.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/product-activation.aspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation.aspxhope this will help youGagan- MCP,MCTS
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2009 9:24pm

Hi, As I know, if you run Windows Server 2008 64bit with Hyper-V, you can use the key to activate both the host/physical machine and the virtual machine running on it. The number of the virtual machines you can activate using this key depends on what edition of Windows Server 2008 you are running as the host/physical machine. If you are running Windows Server 2008 Standard as the host/physical machine, you can use this key to activate this host/physical machine and one Windows Server 2008 Standard virtual machine running on it. If you are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise as the host/physical machine, you can use this key to activate this host/physical machine and four Windows Server 2008 Enterprise virtual machines running on it. If you are running Windows Server 2008 DataCenter as the host/physical machine, you can use this key to activate this host/physical machine and unlimited Windows Server 2008 DataCenter virtual machines running on it. From your description, it seems you are using two keys to activate the host/physical machine and the virtual machine separately, doesnt it? Did you install xentools(citrix virtual machine) in the Windows Server 2008 virtual machine so that you have a nested virtual machine? What editions of Windows Server 2008 do your host/physical machine and the virtual machine running? Tim Quan - MSFT
December 1st, 2009 5:27am

Hi Thanks for the reply, am using windows 2008 standard. I have installed xentools in windows server 2008 standard machine. And I have another 2008 server running on this virtual machine which is in trial period, As soon as i installed the xen tools on the licenced 2008 server its asking for re activation, and I have two keys for this 2008 server one is virtual keys and another is physical key. when i tried with virtual key it shows some error, but it got activated with physical key, what was the problem with my virtual keyThanks Raj2win
December 1st, 2009 7:55am

Hi,I would also suggest you to call the Microsoft Activation Center. The engineers in the center will help you toanswer activation related queries Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx
December 1st, 2009 7:59am

Hi, Thank you for the reply. I have not heard about virtual key. Now please contact Microsoft Activation Center for detailed information. Tim Quan - MSFT
December 1st, 2009 8:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics