Activating evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise ?
Does anyone know if the evaluation copy of Server 2008 that can be downloaded from here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=encan be activated/converted to a fully licensed version without uninstalling? (That is to say, if I enter a product key)I have having been trying to download Server 2008 from MSDNAA but the software is hosted onsite and we're apparently having trouble with our servers. I can obtain my product key, but the .iso download isn't working. The link I included seems to suggest that the evaluation copy can be activated with a key without uninstalling, but the rep I talked with at the4 microsoft tech support linedidn't think so, but she also said she wasn't "technically trained" and she also seemed to think I was talking about Server 2003, no matter how many times I corrected her with 2008.
December 18th, 2008 3:33am

deuce_mn said: Does anyone know if the evaluation copy of Server 2008 [...] can be activated/converted to a fully licensed version without uninstalling? (That is to say, if I enter a product key) Yes, this is possible.Media in Windows Server 2008 is not linked to a licensing program anymore. Windows Server 2003 media for use with different licenses (Evaluation, OEM, FPP and VL) were different media. Windows Server 2008 uses only one media per edition. Multiple edition can be placed on one disk. When you install the edition for which you have or are about to receive a license and product key, you can later enter the corresponding product key and transform your current install to a licensed install.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 18th, 2008 12:28pm

Hi, Could you please tell me whats the version of your Windows Server 2008? Is it a beta version or a RTM version? Beta evaluation is completely different than RTM evaluation copies. If you are using beta copy, then the product key will not work and you will need to reinstall it. If you are using the RTM copy, you can change the product key without reinstalling Windows.. To check the version of your operation system, you can type winver command in Run, and then you will get the report. You can identify them refer to the following examples: Example 1: The report of Beta Evaluation Copy ------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Server Version 6.0 Build 6001 Servicepack 1, v.275 Evaluation copy.=20 ------------------------------------------- Example 2: The report of RTM Evaluation Copy ------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Server Version 6.0 Build 6001 Servicepack 1 Evaluation copy.=20 ------------------------------------------- For RTM version of evaluation copy, you can refer to the following table on how to activate and convert the evaluation copy: To Activate or Convert To Steps Retail Build To Convert Not necessary Eval is Retail build To Activate * Enter a valid retail key in the Change Product Key UI Volume Build KMS Client To Convert Enter the KMS client setup key1 using slmgr.vbs script To Activate ** Activate using the slmgr.vbs script Volume Build MAK Client To Convert and Activate*** Enter a valid MAK key in the Change Product Key UI *** The retail key must be valid for the edition installed. For example, if you install Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need to enter an Enterprise Edition retail key. ** *The product will only activate if you have the appropriate KMS key level on their KMS server. For example, to activate Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need KMS B or KMS C key on their KMS Host Server. *** The MAK key must be valid for the edition installed. For example, if you install Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need to enter a MAK B volume key to activate ***The KMS client setup key is a generic (non client-specific) key that is used to set up KMS. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 18th, 2008 1:08pm

Vincent Hu said: Hi, Could you please tell me whats the version of your Windows Server 2008? Is it a beta version or a RTM version? Beta evaluation is completely different than RTM evaluation copies. If you are using beta copy, then the product key will not work and you will need to reinstall it. If you are using the RTM copy, you can change the product key without reinstalling Windows.. To check the version of your operation system, you can type winver command in Run, and then you will get the report. You can identify them refer to the following examples: Example 1: The report of Beta Evaluation Copy ------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Server Version 6.0 Build 6001 Servicepack 1, v.275 Evaluation copy.=20 ------------------------------------------- Example 2: The report of RTM Evaluation Copy ------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Server Version 6.0 Build 6001 Servicepack 1 Evaluation copy.=20 ------------------------------------------- For RTM version of evaluation copy, you can refer to the following table on how to activate and convert the evaluation copy: To Activate or Convert To Steps Retail Build To Convert Not necessary Eval is Retail build To Activate * Enter a valid retail key in the Change Product Key UI Volume Build KMS Client To Convert Enter the KMS client setup key1 using slmgr.vbs script To Activate ** Activate using the slmgr.vbs script Volume Build MAK Client To Convert and Activate*** Enter a valid MAK key in the Change Product Key UI *** The retail key must be valid for the edition installed. For example, if you install Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need to enter an Enterprise Edition retail key. ** *The product will only activate if you have the appropriate KMS key level on their KMS server. For example, to activate Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need KMS B or KMS C key on their KMS Host Server. *** The MAK key must be valid for the edition installed. For example, if you install Enterprise Edition evaluation, you will need to enter a MAK B volume key to activate ***The KMS client setup key is a generic (non client-specific) key that is used to set up KMS. Best Regards, Vincent Hu I'm not sure what version it is. I would assume it is not the beta that I downloaded, but I haven't instaled it yet, so I can't run that command. But anyway, the version I downloaded is the version found at the link I included.The address seems to have changed, so here it is updated:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en
December 19th, 2008 4:44pm

Hi, The link you provided is RTM verion.Please refer to the above post to activate. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 22nd, 2008 9:50am

Hi Vincent, On a similar point, I downloaded Windows 2008 R1 Web Edition for a client to evaluate. They want to keep it so I've ordered it from my supplier, but they are sending me R2. Will this license work or will I have to try to exchange it for an R1 license? Winver reports build as 6001 SP1. Regards, Paul
September 7th, 2009 2:44am

Hi guys, sorry to get back to this topic so late after it's been started and talked about. I too have a customer that has installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 180 Day Evaluation and would like to know if purchasing a volume license key will work to activate this trial and convert it to a fully licensed edition without having to wipe and reinstall the OS and applications. I also spoke with Microsoft Reps and had one tell me yes, and the other tell me no. I read your comment Sander, about 2008 no longer being linked to licensing channels such as OEM, VL, and Retail but that's not what Microsoft says. Can someone confirm if infact they have been able to use a type of channel key (VL, Retail, OEM) to activate this Eval edition? Thanks!
March 3rd, 2011 8:59pm

Hello Compsys, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are two separate products so the eval behavior is different. With Windows Server 2008 R2 eval, it is not supported to convert, it is not a true conversion. Changing the key does not remove the eval timers. 2021579 Windows Server 2008 R2 evaluation version http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2021579Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
March 4th, 2011 1:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics