Accesssing Server 2K8 R2 share from XP machine
I'm having an issue with connecting to a network share from XP machines. Originally this was set up as a CNAME to an exisiting file server. When you try to access the share by IP or FQDN of the server itself, it works fine. When I try to access the share using the FQDN of the CNAME, it fails. I've also tried setting up the DNS as an A record which didn't resolve the issue. On Windows 7 machines this isn't happening. Any ideas where to start looking?
August 8th, 2011 10:18pm

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. What error message was encountered when trying to access the share by using the FQDN of the CNAME? 2. Can you query the CNAME with NSLookup? 3. Can you read the CNAME records are created correctly in DNS Mamager? Based on the current situation, you may try the following methods: Method 1 (recommended): Create the Local Security Authority host names that can be referenced in an NTLM authentication request Method 2: Disable the authentication loopback check For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Error message when you try to access a server locally by using its FQDN or its CNAME alias after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access denied" or "No network provider accepted the given network path" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926642 Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2011 4:02am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. What error message was encountered when trying to access the share by using the FQDN of the CNAME? 2. Can you query the CNAME with NSLookup? 3. Can you read the CNAME records are created correctly in DNS Mamager? Based on the current situation, you may try the following methods: Method 1 (recommended): Create the Local Security Authority host names that can be referenced in an NTLM authentication request Method 2: Disable the authentication loopback check For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Error message when you try to access a server locally by using its FQDN or its CNAME alias after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access denied" or "No network provider accepted the given network path" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926642 Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 10th, 2011 4:02am

August 10th, 2011 11:02am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. What error message was encountered when trying to access the share by using the FQDN of the CNAME? 2. Can you query the CNAME with NSLookup? 3. Can you read the CNAME records are created correctly in DNS Mamager? Based on the current situation, you may try the following methods: Method 1 (recommended): Create the Local Security Authority host names that can be referenced in an NTLM authentication request Method 2: Disable the authentication loopback check For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Error message when you try to access a server locally by using its FQDN or its CNAME alias after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access denied" or "No network provider accepted the given network path" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926642 Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. When I try it basically times out, tells me it's not available. Running an nslookup against the CNAME resolves just fine, and the DNS records are set up correctly. If I run a "net view" against the CNAME I get: System error 52 has occured. You were not connection because a duplicate name exists on the network. Go to system in control panel to change the computer name and try again. There is no duplicate.
August 10th, 2011 12:29pm

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. What error message was encountered when trying to access the share by using the FQDN of the CNAME? 2. Can you query the CNAME with NSLookup? 3. Can you read the CNAME records are created correctly in DNS Mamager? Based on the current situation, you may try the following methods: Method 1 (recommended): Create the Local Security Authority host names that can be referenced in an NTLM authentication request Method 2: Disable the authentication loopback check For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Error message when you try to access a server locally by using its FQDN or its CNAME alias after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access denied" or "No network provider accepted the given network path" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926642 Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. When I try it basically times out, tells me it's not available. Running an nslookup against the CNAME resolves just fine, and the DNS records are set up correctly. If I run a "net view" against the CNAME I get: System error 52 has occured. You were not connection because a duplicate name exists on the network. Go to system in control panel to change the computer name and try again. There is no duplicate.
August 10th, 2011 12:29pm

August 10th, 2011 7:29pm

Hi, Have you check if there are any duplicated CNAME records in DNS Manger? If so, please delete them and create a new one. Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 15th, 2011 5:46am

Hi, Have you check if there are any duplicated CNAME records in DNS Manger? If so, please delete them and create a new one. Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 15th, 2011 5:46am

Hi, Have you check if there are any duplicated CNAME records in DNS Manger? If so, please delete them and create a new one. Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. There is no duplicate.
August 15th, 2011 9:42am

Hi, Have you check if there are any duplicated CNAME records in DNS Manger? If so, please delete them and create a new one. Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. There is no duplicate.
August 15th, 2011 9:42am

August 15th, 2011 12:46pm

August 15th, 2011 4:42pm

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this issue occurs on all the Windows XP clients or only a few of them? Based on the current situation, please update the firmware of the router and the network card drivers. If this issue only occurs on one Windows XP client, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 22nd, 2011 4:24am

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this issue occurs on all the Windows XP clients or only a few of them? Based on the current situation, please update the firmware of the router and the network card drivers. If this issue only occurs on one Windows XP client, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 22nd, 2011 4:24am

August 22nd, 2011 11:24am

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this issue occurs on all the Windows XP clients or only a few of them? Based on the current situation, please update the firmware of the router and the network card drivers. If this issue only occurs on one Windows XP client, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This is happening on all XP machines i've tried. I did a clean boot and still can not access the share by CNAME.
August 22nd, 2011 11:29am

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this issue occurs on all the Windows XP clients or only a few of them? Based on the current situation, please update the firmware of the router and the network card drivers. If this issue only occurs on one Windows XP client, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This is happening on all XP machines i've tried. I did a clean boot and still can not access the share by CNAME.
August 22nd, 2011 11:29am

August 22nd, 2011 6:29pm

Hi, According to your reply, when you tries to access itself by the alias (CNAME), you receive the error status code 52. If I have misunderstood anything, please correct me in time. It’s a quite typical scenario of share folder access. By default, you cannot access a server’s share folders by an alias, unless you add the following 2 registry entries below: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking Data type: REG_DWORD Radix: Decimal Value: 1 HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0\BackConnectionHostNames Added the CNAME to this key. NOTE: Please untick the option Do not require Kerberos preauthentication under the user properties under Account. We have ticked this option to eliminate the Kerberos issue. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Regards, Scott Xie
August 26th, 2011 10:38am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 30th, 2011 2:27am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 30th, 2011 2:27am

Hi, According to your reply, when you tries to access itself by the alias (CNAME), you receive the error status code 52. If I have misunderstood anything, please correct me in time. It’s a quite typical scenario of share folder access. By default, you cannot access a server’s share folders by an alias, unless you add the following 2 registry entries below: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking Data type: REG_DWORD Radix: Decimal Value: 1 HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0\BackConnectionHostNames Added the CNAME to this key. NOTE: Please untick the option Do not require Kerberos preauthentication under the user properties under Account. We have ticked this option to eliminate the Kerberos issue. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Regards, Scott Xie I assume these registry changes would have to be made on the server hosting the share?
August 30th, 2011 9:06am

Hi, According to your reply, when you tries to access itself by the alias (CNAME), you receive the error status code 52. If I have misunderstood anything, please correct me in time. It’s a quite typical scenario of share folder access. By default, you cannot access a server’s share folders by an alias, unless you add the following 2 registry entries below: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking Data type: REG_DWORD Radix: Decimal Value: 1 HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0\BackConnectionHostNames Added the CNAME to this key. NOTE: Please untick the option Do not require Kerberos preauthentication under the user properties under Account. We have ticked this option to eliminate the Kerberos issue. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Regards, Scott Xie I assume these registry changes would have to be made on the server hosting the share?
August 30th, 2011 9:06am

August 30th, 2011 9:27am

August 30th, 2011 4:06pm

hi! When you access a share with a CNAME and the server responds with a different name (A), that might "confuse" some clients. Had this when the FQDN was too long. So try to set the registry values Scott mentioned (on the client) to disable this strict behaviour and try again... Regards, RalfRalf Wigand, MVP Windows Server:Directory Services
September 7th, 2011 10:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics