Access to folder on Server
I have a rather weird problem I stuck with. I have created user groups, i.e, Accounting, Sales, Administration, etc. and have put the users from that certain departement into the groups. All the groups have set the permissions to access the folder on the server. Now there was a change and one group, which has only two users, needs to have access to another folder is well. Easy enough? I have changed the permission for this folder and user group and now the weird thing is one user in this group can access this folder and the other user in this group gets Access denied. I have tried to change everything, inherit permissions, remove inherit, apply from this point to all child objects, etc. but still the same. Has anyone any idea why this happens? I stuck with this problem now three days already and nothing in sight and I run out of ideas. Thank you in advance.
May 28th, 2010 6:14am

How is the user trying to access the folder? Example, is the user accessing a UNC path (\\server\share) that goes directly to the files? Are they browsing there way to the file locations by double clicking a series of folders? Are they going directly to the files by accessing either \\server\share\dir1\dir2\dir3 or z:\dir1\dir2\dir3? Is the user getting denied using all the aforementioned methods? Is the users computer joined to the domain? Is the uer logged in to the domain? How the user accesses the files is important to forming the answer.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2010 8:14am

Hi Somchai64, In addition to IdahoInEd's suggestion, you may also check the shared folder's Effective Permissions to see if the problematic user have proper permission to access this folder. Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
May 31st, 2010 9:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics