Access is denied.(5) - Server 2003 SP2
Background: Currently Building new Server 2003 IIS6 web servers The Servers are workgroup machines I am a local administrator on the Servers Issue: After making configuration changes on the server I get the error "Access is denied.(5)" when trying to perform some administrative functions, like restarting the server from the command line. An example of a repeatable change that causes the issue is making security changes to the Inetpub folder. After adding a user, removing a user or changing permissions to files and folder I get this error. Workaround: Restarting the server from iLO/VM console Notes: Most of the info I've read refer to domain policy or replication issues, not relevant due to being a workgroup machine. This post provided some good points, and suggests the problem was in the sysvol share, but again this isn't a domain machine http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/thread/f0d71c16-ad4c-44c9-8e04-4e84e2a23cd8 I've seen some other posts that suggests the local security policy is corrupt, that could be the case as changes have been made to the local security policy, but I'm not 100% certain this is the case. Anyone got any suggestions?
May 1st, 2012 7:03pm

Hi, Please try to re-registered the msxml3.sll to test. regsvr32 msxml3.sll Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Elytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2012 9:56pm

Hi, Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums. As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as Answered as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish. BTW, wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts. Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 10th, 2012 5:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics