Access a remote file on shared folder SSIS

Hello everybody. I have a package that need to copy a file from a remote server using path like  \\ipaddress\sharedfolder

now, inside of Microsoft data tools, everything runs fine, because y access to those folders on the windows sessions and enter my credentials. 

however how to I set up the package to use my credentials on the remote server?  

without it, I got error Executed as user: NT Service\SQLAgent$RETAIL_PRO.

and this user does not exists on remote server. so got access denied. error.

September 9th, 2015 7:39pm

Hi Gilberto,

Design the package in such way that while it connect to remote path, it connects with different UserId/Password which have proper access. Set it up through package parameters. While setting up SSIS package within the server, pass the Remote userID/Password from environment variable (make the password sensitive). 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 11:26pm

Hi Gilberto,

If I understand correctly, you want to access a remote system folder, then take some actions based on the remote folder in SSIS.

As per my understanding, it supports FTP and UNC path in SSIS. So you can share the remote folder via FTP or UNC path, then use FTP Task or File System task to perform operations on files and directories in the file system. For example, by using FTP Task, a package can download data files from a remote server or an Internet location as part of an Integration Services package workflow. By using the File System task, a package can create, move, or delete directories and files.

Reference:
SQL Server Integration Services

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

September 10th, 2015 12:18am

Hi Gilberto,

If I understand correctly, you want to execute the package with your credentials on the remote server SQL Server Agent Job. Because the account NT Service\SQLAgent$RETAIL_PRO that is used to run the package under SQL Server Agent does not have the required permissions to access a remote file on shared folder.

If in this scenario, we can create a SQL Server Agent proxy account to fix this issue. This proxy account must use your credential that lets SQL Server Agent run the job as the account that has the required permissions. For more information about how to run a SSIS Package from SQL Server Agent Using a Proxy Account, please refer to the following blog:
http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2163/running-a-ssis-package-from-sql-server-agent-using-a-proxy-account/

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 2:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics