Access Slow On Hyper-V (Server 2012). Needs To Be Rebooted Daily.

I have a couple access databases that were migrated from Server 2003 to a virtual server on 2012. About a month after the migration they started running really slow when more than one user had the database open. I went through all the common fixes for access and none of them worked. I put the virtual host in its own group and made a new policy so that it wouldnt be burded with extra virus scanning. Nothing is fixing this problem.

I moved one of the database back to the old 2003 server and it runs fine there, even though this server has a fraction of the power of the new server and is using half its resources. Also the server 2012 that is having the problem is hardly using any resources at all. 1-3% processor!

Rebooting the virtual server every morning seems to help, I have been doing that the last three days. Maybe there is something being effected after the backups every night?

Anyone have any suggestions?

January 17th, 2014 11:16am

are you using dynamic or fixed disk on this vm.pls use fixed disk with virtual machine and try.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2014 7:54pm

"migrated from Server 2003 to a virtual server on 2012"

Did you create a new VM or did you perform a P2V of the 2003 physical machine?

"Also the server 2012 that is having the problem is hardly using any resources at all. 1-3% processor!"

Are you looking at the performance within the VM or at the 2012 Hyper-V host?  If looking at the Hyper-V host, you are looking at what is running in the parent partition, not what is running in the VM.  You need to look at performance within the VM or at the perf counters in the parent partition that are specific to your VM.  Besides, CPU usage does not tell the whole story.  If the machine is thrashing IO, there might be a very small amount of CPU being used because it is basically waiting for IO to complete.  You need to perform a more complete analysis to determine performance issues, not just look at a single variable.

"Rebooting the virtual server every morning seems to help, I have been doing that the last three days. Maybe there is something being effected after the backups every night?"

Simple to test.  Don't back up the machine for one night and see if it makes a difference.

January 18th, 2014 3:55pm

I had it on dynamic. I am going to try converting to fixed and see if this solves the problem. Nothing else makes sense since the new server has 10X the resources of the one it replaced. The only reason I made it dynamic is because they are a small company with two domain controllers and they were running their file server off their GC. I thought it would be better to make two virtuals on the GC, one for files and one for the endpoint manager console and wsus as to tighten security on the domain controllers. The PDC should be doing a majority of the work anyways so it didn't make sense that it was getting bogged down. Keeping fingers crossed the fixed disc fixes it.
January 20th, 2014 2:54am

When I did the migration I didn't have virtual on 2003 so I just moved the files over with xcopy. I'm going to try changing to fixed instead of dynamic and see what happens. Thanks.
January 20th, 2014 2:55am

I would also check to make sure the 2003 VM has had the Integration Services installed.
Step 3 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732470(v=WS.10).aspx#BKMK_step4

January 20th, 2014 3:09am

Hi JoeAlves,

Has the problem been solved ?

Best Regards

Elton Ji

January 28th, 2014 4:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics