Access Our Website that is hosted by Earthlink from computers on our network
we have a website hosted via earthlink. I can access this website from any computer that is not connected to our network, but cannot access the site when on our network. We have a single windows server 2003 that does our exchange email and a few other functions for the company. it is also the Domain controller. How can I have it direct traffic from the default website on the server to the actual website hosted by Earthlink? when I try to access I get the following: <!-- Problem--> Under Construction <!-- Probable causes:<--> The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured. Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator. If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS Help. To access IIS Help Click Start , and then click Run . In the Open text box, type inetmgr . IIS Manager appears. From the Help menu, click Help Topics . Click Internet Information Services .
February 5th, 2010 2:51am

Your problem is that your AD domain name and your external DNS name is the same, right?So, your AD server by default will create a host (A) record in your internal DNS zone for the domain name. For instance, the example is that your DC's IP address is 192.168.0.1 and your domain name is company.com. Your DC will register a host (A) record on the internal DNS server (same box in this example) for the host name company.com with an IP address of 192.168.0.1.Then of course, from inside your network, you type company.com in the web browser and of course, you hit the DC which is also running IIS (not a good thing, but I assume you are running Small Business Server). If I am correct in my assumptions, you have two options:You could configure your DC to NOT register a host (A) record for the domain name, but it will also prevent it from autocreating the GC pointer in DNS. Not a big deal, because you can create the GC record manually.Oryou can create a IIS redirect and point it to the IP address (since you cant use the hostname because that is why you are having this issue) of where your externally hosted website sits. However, your web hosting company would have to accept the IP rather than a host header.If you go with the first option, this is the registry edit that is required.On the DC, open the registry editor, navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetLogon\ParametersCreate a REG_DWORD, name=RegisterDnsARecords, and assign a value of 0 (zero).http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784031(WS.10).aspxThen on your DNS zone for the domain, navigate to the subdomain _msdcs.gc folder. Create a static host (A) record for the IP address of hte GC (the same DC's IP in this case).http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258213This works great for companies that have their external DNS name the same as their internal DNS name for AD. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2010 1:16am

Hi ,I see that there is some configuration changes need to be made on your dns server. check that you have appropriate zone ( as jorge mentioned ) in dns server Check if you have created CNAME record for your website ( www --> server name ) Check the dns server for appropriate A records for yoru website ( if you have multiple websites you need to create appropriate Ipaddress ) this depends on your architecture . If you use host headers then you can configure same ip address to different websites , IIS route your request automatically.I do not think there is some other setting we are missing from DNS front. You have to create appropriate zone and the ipaddress ===========================================Now you need to check your IIS server settings. Few troublehsooting============a) check if you are able to access your website on dc by typing http://localhostb) check on clients using ipaddress and not the hostname or FQDN
February 24th, 2010 5:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics