Access Denied to COM Security using Admin Account
Hello, I was hardening the security of my windows server and i read the document about MSDTC that if you don't need it then disable. And this is exactly what I did. I stopped and disabled MSDTC service. And then i removed Anonymous Logon & Everyone permisson (Local Access & Remote Access) under component service for COM security. I restarted the server, logged in as Administrator and got access denied to most of the tasks such as creating users or adding users to group. The worst thing is that i can't even Right-Click on any object to check the properties. I tried to bring back the permission on the COM security but failed as Im getting access denied though Im logged in as administrator. Tried torestart MSDTC service but unsuccessful because i can't even right-Click on it. The event log is showing the following error. I can't read the detail message since right-click is not working. so Im posting the basic errors. System Logs: LsaSrv --> Event ID 40960 Datascrn--> Event ID 3 Application Logs: SRMSVC--> Event ID 8203 USERENV--> Event ID 1110 USERENV--> Event ID1090 ccsetmgr--> Event ID 48 Event System--> Event ID 4609 COM+ --> Event ID 4691 Does any one know how can ireset the COM Security permission and restart the MSDTC service? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
April 30th, 2008 9:11pm

Hello, The named values under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole key control Distributed COM's default launch and access permission settings. Therefore, you could try to restore DCOM security settings by the following steps: 1. Please try to backup the above registry key from another Windows Server 2008 which works well. 2. Please restore this key on your current server. NOTE: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, please refer to the following KB article to back up the registry before you modify it: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us I hope this helps. Thanks. Regards,Neo Zhu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2008 1:20pm

Thanks so much Neo Zhu..
May 7th, 2008 10:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics