Access Denied after Non-Destructive OS re-install
Hi All,Growing old and tired, I don't seem to have the understanding of PC's as I used to. Recently my HP laptop hiccupped and required an OS re-install. HP provided on a D partition the full OS. All data was retained. A useful feature, so it seemed.The problem started when I attempted to access some of that Non-Destroyed data. Access Denied. The data showed in green where all accessible data showed in the normal black. (perhaps of no significance?)I have followed the Microsoft HELP provided formats for accessing files that belonged to employees no longer there.Whatever I have tried, the same problem persists. Now my Calendar (Microsoft Works) won's start on the schedule I set.That too seems to have to do with PERMISSIONS. Frankly where once quite up to date (since 1978) today I seem to be totally LOST on this one.Can anyone help this 78 year old former computer geek?Thanks in advance.HenkG.
January 13th, 2010 6:40pm

This doesn't have anything to do with permissions but has everything to do with the fact that those files that show up coloured green are encrypted with the Encrypting File System (EFS). If you've recovered the OS from an OEM recovery partition then the chances are good that you've wiped out the old user profiles which is where the certificate(s) and private key(s) for those encrypted files were stored. If this is the case and you have no backup of those profiles, no backup of the certificate(s) and private key(s) and no access to a Data Recovery Agent certificate then those files have become permanently inaccessible.As an FYI, this forum is for Windows Server security. The fact that you've got an OEM recovery partition and that you're running Microsoft Works leads me to believe that you're using one of the Windows Client operating systems and as such are posting in the wrong forum. There are forums for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 that are likely more appropriate to your situation.Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2010 10:16pm

Thank you Paul. Even though it does not solve my problem, I now can destroy, i.e. blow away those greenies without feeling remorse.I am sorry that my old eyes failed to see the proper forum, perhaps because I don't believe to ever have resorted to using this form of HELP.I had read about the encrypting features but could not quite fathom HOW I had encrypted these files.FYI the same thing happened with a number of files that were RESTORED from Carbonite.Anyway, it is good to know there are folk like you, willing to lend a hand.Thanks.The OLD guy.
February 9th, 2010 7:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics