Access Denied Adding roles as Administrator

I have two servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with SP1 which are experiencing the same issue. Both are VMs. Whenever I try to Add Roles through Server Manager or Powershell (any role) it fails with Access Denied. My domain account is a member of an AD group which is in the local Administrators group, so should have permissions to do this. I've also logged on with the local Administrator account, but it too is receiving an Access Denied error. This occurs whether accessing the server through RDP or through the VM console.

I've forced a GPUpdate and restarted but this had no impact. Other servers in the same OU don't have this issue so doesn't appear to be a Group Policy problem either. UAC is also turned off so shouldn't be interfering. 

As a last resort we can rebuild the machines, but I'd much rather understand what has caused this error and find the resolution for it incase it happens again in future on a server we can't simply rebuild because it hasn't entered production yet.

• Edited by DaveP1985 Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:10 PM
April 29th, 2015 12:08pm

Hi,

Yes, other domain user accounts also have the same issue. This occurs whether they are members of an AD group that is in the servers local administrator group, or if the domain user accounts are added directly into the local administrators group. The issue is also the same using the local administrator account on the server.

I can actually access/logon to the servers no problem and I appear to be able to run programs as Administrator with no problems. The only issue is occurring when attempting to Add Roles through Server Manager/Powershell.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 8:56am

Hello,

Is there any other information provided, such as an error code?

What's in the event logs?

Karl

April 30th, 2015 4:02pm

The only error code given is 0x80007005, which is just an Access Denied error code I believe.

I've had a look in the Windows logs and can't see anything there relating to an attempt to add roles.

I've checked the ServerManager.log file in C:\Windows\Logs and it just appears to have the same information,

[Provider] Error (Id=0) Sync Message - OperationKind: Install, MessageType: Error, MessageCode: -2147024891, Message: Attempt to install Management Service failed with error code 0x80070005., AdditionalMessage: Access is denied

(Same type of message is received for all of the services attempting to be installed as part of IIS)

The only other messages that look relevant,

[Provider]                  C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
[CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: False.

[LocalResult] Error (Id=0) The antecedent '51' of the installed feature 'Windows System Resource Manager' is not currently installed!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 5:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics