A question regarding Management pack dependency.

Hi All,

I am new to SCOM, I have a question regarding management pack dependency.

My question is, Is Dependency is required when New alerts are created in a unsealed MP and the object class selected during alert creation is (i.e Windows server 2012 full operating system) and it is on a Sealed management pack ? 

For example i have a Sealed Windows server 2012 monitoring management pack.

I have made a custom one, for windows server 2012, So if it the custom is not dependent on the sealed Windows server 2012 monitoring management pack, Then cant i create any alerts in the custom management pack targeting the class Windows server 2012 full operating system ?

January 30th, 2015 7:16pm

That's correct, you won't be able to target the rules/monitors contained in your unsealed mp to the Windows Server 2012 class if you don't have the Windows server 2012 MP in the dependencies.
  • Marked as answer by abdulma 19 hours 27 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2015 9:24pm

That's correct, you won't be able to target the rules/monitors contained in your unsealed mp to the Windows Server 2012 class if you don't have the Windows server 2012 MP in the dependencies.
  • Marked as answer by abdulma Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:33 PM
January 30th, 2015 9:24pm

Hi CyrAz,

Thank you for the reply. Now if your's and my understanding is the same, Then look at the below what happened.

I created a Alert monitor targeting a Windows Server 2012 class in my custom management pack which is not dependent on the Windows server 2012 management pack, But how was i successfully able to create them when the dependency is not there at all, If our understanding is same, then there must be an Error thrown while creating the monitor its self right ? But how was SCOM able to create that ?

Look at the below screenshot.

I was able to create a monitor targeting Windows server 2012 Full operating system and create a alert on the custom management pack which is not at all dependent on the Windows server 2012 Sealed MP.

Look at the dependency of the management pack where i do not have the Windows server 2012 management as my custom management is not dependent on that.

Then how come this is possible ?

January 31st, 2015 4:43am

OK I've just checked and the answer is simple : the Windows Server 2012 Full Operating System class is actually contained in the Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library MP, as you can see here : http://systemcentercore.com/?Get-ManagementPack=Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library&Version=6.0.7230.0

So everything's normal !

January 31st, 2015 6:43am

Hi Cyraz,

Thank you very much. I understood things well now.

I also noticed 1 more interesting thing here which i want to share i tested a few minutes ago.

We monitor Exchange 2010 in our environment. I created a new Custom MP named "Test" just for testing.

I created that in SCOM console its self. I checked the dependency first before i had created any Monitores / Rules in it and it had only 1 dependancy i.e System center core library. When i started creating alerts in that 1 by 1 of different classes, I.e Windows server O/S, Exchange 2010.

When i add alerts of different classes then SCOM automatically adds the Sealed MP as dependency on the newly made Test management pack. 

So post alert creation i had Exchange 2010 dependency automatically added, When i added a Windows server 2012 Full operating system alert then the Windows server core library got automatically added as a dependency to the Test management pack.

Thank you very much. 
January 31st, 2015 7:38am

OK I've just checked and the answer is simple : the Windows Server 2012 Full Operating System class is actually contained in the Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library MP, as you can see here : http://systemcentercore.com/?Get-ManagementPack=Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library&Version=6.0.7230.0

So everything's normal !

January 31st, 2015 2:38pm

Hi Cyraz,

Thank you very much. I understood things well now.

I also noticed 1 more interesting thing here which i want to share i tested a few minutes ago.

We monitor Exchange 2010 in our environment. I created a new Custom MP named "Test" just for testing.

I created that in SCOM console its self. I checked the dependency first before i had created any Monitores / Rules in it and it had only 1 dependancy i.e System center core library. When i started creating alerts in that 1 by 1 of different classes, I.e Windows server O/S, Exchange 2010.

When i add alerts of different classes then SCOM automatically adds the Sealed MP as dependency on the newly made Test management pack. 

So post alert creation i had Exchange 2010 dependency automatically added, When i added a Windows server 2012 Full operating system alert then the Windows server core library got automatically added as a dependency to the Test management pack.

Thank you very much. 
January 31st, 2015 3:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics