A problem connecting to AS running on HyperV using a simple workgroup

Hi,

Please help, I am baffled by this.

I have created a Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual server on Hyper V. The host machine is Windows 8.1. I have then installed SQL Server 2014 on the server and patched up to date. I have correctly enabled the TCP/IP networking and have configured the Firewall ports as outlined in the Technet Guide.

I can connect to the SQL Server Database from host/remote using the sa account but not my <Host>\<UserName> windows account. Acceptable but not ideal.

When it comes to connecting to AS from host\remote I only get a windows log in and then when manually typing in the name of the client server I get the following message.

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to SQLServer1.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (System)

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host (System)

This looks to me as though the <host>\<user> log in isn't recognised by the client even though the user is set up on both. I believe this is a Domain issue. I guess the correct fix is to set up an virtual Active Directory but at this stage I don't want to do this. Both host and client are on the same workgroup and this is configured correctly so why are the domain issues cropping up. I'm sure this didn't use to happen a couple of years ago when I tried this has some security issue changed?

Any advice welcomed - many thanks in advance

Regards

Nick

February 22nd, 2015 11:26am

Both host and client are on the same workgroup and

Hello Nick,

SSAS supports only Windows Authentication within a Windows; Workgroups are not (directly) supported.

You could use anonymous Access via Http(s), see Accessing the Analysis Server Over HTTPS and Configure HTTP Access to Analysis Services on Internet Information Services (IIS) 8.0

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 4:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics