A few questions about Windows Server 2008 Beta 3
Hi, I am going to download Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 soon, and have a few questions. First, I am getting a new computer soon, which I plan on installing Windows Server 2008 onto. It is probably going to be a Dell with Windows Vista pre-installed, and I want to dual-boot the computer between Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. However, I am not sure which computer I am getting, so I dont want to download the 32 bit version and end up getting a computer with a x64 processor. Should I wait until I get my new computer to download the beta, or download it now? How much longer will the beta be aviable? Second, I was on the download page (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d97e2060-36ad-4eaa-8b0b-dab2557b1eef&DisplayLang=en)and on the page it says I need a valid product key, and to get one from one of two pages. However, the pages do not work for me. On bolth the MSDN and TechNet pages, I select my location (United States), click next, enter my login information, but then I am redirected to the Microsoft home page. Is there any other way to get a product key? Third, the computer I am looking at is a Dell. We have several Dell computers, and I know that Dell computers have a feature where you can restore your computer to its factory shipped state at the push of a button in minutes because the reinstallation program is stored on a seperate partition of the disk. I think thers a way to burn a Vista install DVD, but I'm not sure. Since I am going to repartition the computer when I get it, should I be concerned about this? Thanks!
July 2nd, 2007 1:09am

* Wait with the download until you know which type of CPU you're getting. * Don't know about the product keys - MSFT? * Dell restore partition: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm(don't know if this info still is valid, but search for "burn dvd dell restore partition" and you're on your way)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2007 9:27am

Thanks for the suggestions, I have decided to get a Gateway computer I found at Circuit City. It has an Intel processor, so now I know I'm going to download the 32 bit version, which I will buy in 2 weeks (still deciding). Since my current computer has barley enough hard drive space to download Windows Server 2008, I'll just download it on my new computer when I get it.
July 5th, 2007 8:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics