A compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Device cannot be found
In a clean installation of WS08 RC0 Standard x64, Event 537, Level=Critical, Source=TBS, appears on each restart.Text of the event: A compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Device cannot be found on this computer. TBS could not be started.This event also occurs if you try to start the TPM Base Services service (service name=TBS) manually.The computer is a Dell PowerEdge 2900.I haven't seen this event in previous versions of WS08 (June CTP, Beta 3, April CTP), and nothing about the hardware has changed, so I'm guessing that this is a new feature introduced in RC0.Has anyone else seen this event?Does anyone know if the PowerEdge 2900 even has a TPM?Thanks.
September 26th, 2007 8:51pm

No they do not. Which Dell Servers have TPM in it? Most of the next generation (10G) of Dell PowerEdge servers will have TPM. http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Windows%20Server%202008%20FAQ's/revision/6?t=anon
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 11th, 2007 2:48am

Thanks for answering this.
October 13th, 2007 5:37am

glad i could help. please mark the post as answered.
October 13th, 2007 5:42am

I marked the post as answered, but I wonder if the "Critical" level of the event is appropriate. Since many computers that will be running WS08 won't have TPM's, perhaps the level of the event would be more appropriately "Error" or even "Warning" with more explanation in the event message.
October 17th, 2007 6:16pm

I am running a Dell Latitude D820, Vista Business v6.0.6000, IE 7.06.16546, WAS part of a Windows 2003r2 SBS network, changed over to workgroup and left SBS network, amongst other problems is the SQL not letting go of its ceaseless search for the MSSQL and MSSBS queries, my MS Network Monitor 3.1 has identified that Vista will not stop querying for the SBS server, even after I've shut down the remaining SQL services, and I'm getting this error constantly. I've had it appear on an identical computer for a user that left the company where I maintained the SBS 2003r2 server, and I'm getting the same errors. Other factors: Upon leaving the network - group policy still seems to be a problem, I cannot get Vista to stop trying to find gp settings in both laptops (and that includes disabling thegp network services on my laptop as a test to see if that would help), and still this problem occurs. I have seen it happen on a rare occassion to a couple laptops connected to the SBS server, but it disappeared on its own and did not come back. I'm worried this is causing additional problems. Any potential solution for this? I found this in the msdn2 area: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446796.aspx TBS_E_TPM_NOT_FOUND21501214870x8028400F A compatible Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Device cannot be found on this computer.But, doesn't offer a resolution for this. In services.msc, the TPM services are set to auto, but it is self stopping (thus the error, but thought I'd add this in). If I were to guess - it's because you can't technically 'de-authenticate,' in the same way you can 'authenticate' from the 2003 domain. That being said - while I still haven't gotten to interface with server 2008 (and I'd give my eye teeth at the moment in time to have a pc I could use to put that machine to the test with vista.......and I would.. too! argh!), the 'deauthentication' process option, and especially in '03 SBS would be a significant addition to functionality in resolving a lot of issues. Anyway - any help would be appreciated, thanks.
October 18th, 2007 8:32pm

sejong wrote: I wonder if the "Critical" level of the event is appropriate. Though I agree with your logic, "critical" often just means impossible to continue. "deal breaker" if you will.whereas "warning" is just something to consider
October 19th, 2007 8:45am

cyberreaper:you should start another post.I believe the 5/6/8 30 models are the first to have tpm. i have a 620 and it does not have one.
October 19th, 2007 8:47am

Mike Crowley--Good point. Since it is possible to continue despite the lack of a TPM, the "Critical" status is not appopriate.
October 19th, 2007 4:00pm

at this point, you're preaching to the chior!
October 19th, 2007 5:29pm

dell has released their 10g servers: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/pe_2900_III_spec_sheet.pdf http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/pe_2950_III_spec_sheet.pdf they do have TPM
November 26th, 2007 6:45pm

In RC1, this event's level has been reduced from Critical to Information.
December 7th, 2007 5:50pm

nice to know microsoft reads the forums!
December 29th, 2007 7:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics