ATA Errors on Debian 6 VM

I have a Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 that is running two guests. One VM is running Linux Debian 6 64 bit and the other is running Microsoft Windows 7 pro.  Recently I have been receiving the following errors on the Linux VM:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
ata1.00: failed command: WRITE DMA
ata1.00  cmd ca/00:08:80:fe:cd/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 out
             res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata1.00: status: {DRDY}

I do not have LIS installed on this VM, but I did not have these errors before.  What do you recommend?

T

April 29th, 2015 10:01pm

For Debian the LIS support comes built into the kernel. The LIS team submits LIS updates upstream and the Debian chooses whether to backport those changes to the kernels used in their distribution. There is no separately downloaded package for Debian to install LIS support.

However, the kind of error you are seeing is more commonly related to a failed cable or controller, especially if you only recently started seeing the problem. Usually the first thing to try is to replace the ribbon cable connecting the drive to the controller.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 12:15am

Thanks Josh for the response.  I do not believe the problem is hardware related.  I swapped out the SATA cable and I am receiving the same errors.  I wanted to know about the older versions of Debian and LIS support.  It looks like the LIS support being built into the kernel is for the latest version.  How can I verify that my VM has LIS installed?  Thanks.

-JP

May 18th, 2015 9:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics