ASR between two sites and Generation 2 support

Hi guys,

for some reason I'm not really finding some valuable intel on my problem, so I hope you guys can help me out.

I'm currently deploying ASR between two VMM sites in my test environment, I've successfully setup the necessary configuration.

Just to give you a quick overview:

- SCVMM Site #1: One Hyper-V Cluster with 4x Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts, dedicated SAN based storage with CSVs configured

- SCVMM Site #2: One Hyper-V Cluster with 4x Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts, dedicated SAN based storage with CSVs configured

Both clusters have the Hyper-V Replica Broker role enabled, I've configured both VMM servers, Clouds (with Hyper-V capability profile), Storage Classifications, Network mappings, etc. All went well for this part.

When protecting a Gen 1 VM, all seems to be working perfectly. A Gen 2  VM on the other hand throws some fatal errors and setup of the protection fails. I'm not really sure whether this is because of the 'lack' of support for Gen2 (whereas ASR between VMM and Azure converts the VM to Gen 1 on the fly) or something else is wrong. I cant find any documentation on support for Gen 2 with ASR between 2 VMM sites, and the documentation on Hyper-V replica's doesn't explicitly exclude support for Gen 2..

Any help or a statement on Gen 2 support between VMM sites is much appreciated.

Regards, Ruben

Error details:

---

----------------------------
Zero ratings:
For generation 1 virtual machines, the virtualization platform on host [HOST] requires boot and system volumes to use an IDE bus. These volumes cannot be on a disk attached to a SCSI adapter. The disk at the location (SCSI, 0, 0) is on a SCSI adapter. (Either use generation 2 virtual machines (which require a host that supports them), or modify the bus assignments so that boot and system volume disks are located on the IDE bus. Then try the operation again.)
The virtual machine d6da584e-384a-4b3f-ad2c-b92f55cff81f requires local storage and the most appropriate available destination volume connected to host [HOST] is not a local storage device. ()
----------------------------
Deployment errors:
Configuration issues related to the virtual hard drive configuration with ID [c4c0492d-5738-4ca3-8eb0-481e74470ec2] of virtual machine [d6da584e-384a-4b3f-ad2c-b92f55cff81f] prevent deployment. (Get ratings for the virtual machine to determine an appropriate host and try the operation again.)

----

May 29th, 2015 3:58am

Hello Ruben,

ASR and Hyper-V replica fully support Gen2 VMs for E2E (Site to Site) replication. The error seems to be coming from VMM placement logic. I am following up on this internally and will get back to you with additional details to resolve this.

Thanks,

Abhishek Agrawal, Lead Program Manager, Azure Site Recovery 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 7:05am

Hi Ruben, we have identified the root cause and are fixing the service so that you can protect Gen2 VMs. Will update the thread when we release the fix.

Thank you for your patience,

Ruturaj

July 15th, 2015 2:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics