ASP.Net pages don't load on IIS 8

I'm doing application testing on Windows Server 2012  to check compatibility of our web apps (in .Net 4) and am having issues loading any ASPX page. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the .Net, IIS and ASP.Net roles from Server Manager. I also found that aspnet_regiis no longer works in Server 2012, it gives a message to use the role/feature pages instead. I'm at a loss, has anyone else tried IIS 8 yet?

I get the following message:

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

Most likely causes:
It is possible that a handler mapping is missing. By default, the static file handler processes all content.
The feature you are trying to use may not be installed.
The appropriate MIME map is not enabled for the Web site or application. (Warning: Do not create a MIME map for content that users should not download, such as .ASPX pages or .config files.)
If ASP.NET is not installed.

Things you can try:
In system.webServer/handlers: Ensure that the expected handler for the current page is mapped.
Pay extra attention to preconditions (for example, runtimeVersion, pipelineMode, bitness) and compare them to the settings for your application pool.
Pay extra attention to typographical errors in the expected handler line.

Please verify that the feature you are trying to use is installed.
Verify that the MIME map is enabled or add the MIME map for the Web site using the command-line tool appcmd.exe. 1.To set a MIME type, use the following syntax: %SystemRoot%\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config /section:staticContent /+[fileExtension='string',mimeType='string']
2.The variable fileExtension string is the file name extension and the variable mimeType string is the file type description.
3.For example, to add a MIME map for a file which has the extension ".xyz": appcmd set config /section:staticContent /+[fileExtension='.xyz',mimeType='text/plain']
Warning: Ensure that this MIME mapping is needed for your Web server before adding it to the list. Configuration files such as .CONFIG or dynamic scripting pages such as .ASP or .ASPX, should not be downloaded directly and should always be processed through a handler. Other files such as database files or those used to store configuration, like .XML or .MDF, are sometimes used to store configuration information. Determine if clients can download these file types before enabling them.
Install ASP.NET.
Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.

Detailed Error Information:

Module
   StaticFileModule

Notification
   ExecuteRequestHandler

Handler
   StaticFile

Error Code
   0x80070032

Requested URL
   http://localhost:80/login.aspx

Physical Path
   C:\Inetpub\WEBSITE\login.aspx

Logon Method
   Anonymous

Logon User
   Anonymous
October 8th, 2012 4:46pm

Hi,

I had similar issue and I was able to resolve this by following the steps below:

1. Open Server Manager Dashboard and click on "Add roles and features"

2. Navigate to the Server Roles screen Scroll down the list to the "Web Server (IIS)" --> "Web Server" and check all the options under "Application Development" as shown below including the ISAPI filters and Extensions and install all these selected features.  This should do :)

Hope this helps ..  :)

I am learning with Windows Server 2012 too .. so let me know if you have any further queries and I may have answers to it as I have already gone through a lot of hiccups :)

Regards,

Srikanth N D

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 9th, 2012 12:40pm

Yeah, I've installed every feature/role related to IIS and it still doesn't work. I should mention, this is a clean install to a VM so it's as "out-of-the-box" as it comes. We've never had a problem with Server 2008 but this is just crazy.
October 9th, 2012 2:36pm

Hi,

can you cross check on the below features as well,  because I had the exact error that you have come across and all I did was to install these features and roles.  I did have the same issue of not being able to install from the command prompt and as directed by the error message, I just had to use Add Roles and Features Wizard.

If everything is installed and if it still isn't working,  check in the IIS Manager if the ISAPI and CGI Restrictions are set to "Allowed" for .Net 4.0.  This is not really related to the error message that is posted in your earlier message but worth having a look at.

Regards,

Srikanth N D

October 9th, 2012 2:59pm

All of the .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.5 features are checked and installed. ASP.Net 2 and 4 ISAPI extensions are both set to "Allowed".
October 9th, 2012 3:05pm

are you still getting the same error message? if not can you post the error message again?
October 9th, 2012 3:08pm

are you still getting the same error message? if not can you post the error message again?

Yep, same error message still.
October 9th, 2012 3:10pm

Hi,

Regarding IIS related issue, we can also seek help in IIS forum. There you can get more effective suggestion by other experts who familiar with this topic. 

Internet Information Server (IIS)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iises/threads

http://forums.iis.net/

Your understanding is appreciated. Have a nice day.

Regards

Kevin
October 10th, 2012 5:22am

Hi,

Regarding IIS related issue, we can also seek help in IIS forum. There you can get more effective suggestion by other experts who familiar with this topic. 

Internet Information Server (IIS)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iises/threads

http://forums.iis.net/

Your understanding is appreciated. Have a nice day.

Regards

Kevin
Thanks, I did crosspost it to the IIS forums at the same time I posted here. I'm hoping that someone will have an answer for me.
October 10th, 2012 2:47pm

Well, after fighting this issue for the last few days I reset the VM to the base snapshot that I took immediately after finishing the OS install. I followed the exact same steps that I documented during my first runthrough to install the IIS and App Development features then installed my apps and now it works. I have no idea why or how it worked this time where it didn't before, but at least it is working now.
October 10th, 2012 3:28pm

I Just installed .Net Extensibility 4.5 and it worked. Thanks
July 30th, 2013 7:59pm

done the trick!
thank you
  • Edited by Scous3r Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:48 PM
October 10th, 2013 2:47pm

Thanks!!
August 2nd, 2014 7:00pm

Thanks ....Well, It worked by selecting the Applications Development
August 26th, 2014 6:45am

this has solved my problem. thanks mate!
November 26th, 2014 3:02pm

Thank you so much, your solution worked great!!!
June 28th, 2015 5:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics