AD consolidation tip
Hi all, I have to consolidate same AD domains. Let's say I've a target domain -> "target.local". I've an other forest consisting into 2 domains: the FRD is "frd_source.local" the secound one is "other_source.local". Is it better to perform first an intraforest migration to merge frd_sorce.local togheter with other_source.local. Let's say that at the end of this first task I get only frd_source.local. And the performing an interforest migration to migrate the remaining frd_source.local into target.local or Is better to perform two separate interforest migration 1) other_source.local -> target.local 2) frd_source.local -> target.local thanks
September 22nd, 2011 6:21pm

Depends on how much you want to eat at one time. I would suggest (if i read your post right) that if you want to get down to 1 domain "target.local" that you suck those subdomains up into the main one. Don't do c to b to a, just c and b to a. Will save you time and headaches later, also allow you to perform some group and OU housecleaning in the process. (dup accounts/functionality/etc) also if you run into an issue say domain c is not working right, you can at least get b into a, then tackle c, you dont want to have something with c impact b, then compound as you merge to a.:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2011 6:31pm

I agree with Jason. If you go with this plan... 1) other_source.local -> target.local 2) frd_source.local -> target.local, each domain is migrated directly to the target, once each. Otherwise, migrating C --> B --> A, will cause users on the C domain to be migrated twice. Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 22nd, 2011 8:37pm

thank you jason
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2011 8:22am

thank you JM
September 23rd, 2011 8:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics