AD authentication to local generic profile?
I wasn't sure what group to post this to so I thought I'd start with the generic group. Scenario: Have a 2003 AD domain used for authentication and policy. Users do not roam and profiles are local to workstations. The users have a need to access a shared PC but do not need access to their files, just some specific apps. Ideally if AD users could authenticate against the domain on a particular PC but all users get redirected to the same profile. Question: Is it possible to redirect all AD user accounts (for a particular security group) to a specific single local profile? I'm not so worried about users making changes to the profile and having it alter behavior for the other users. Also, I really do not want a generic user account just for that PC. Ideas? Thanks!
June 3rd, 2010 5:17am

Hello, if domain user1 logon to a machine a profile will be created foir user1, doesn't matter on which machine. You can't redirect another profile to that user account. Either create a generic account or use roaming profiles so they use their own settings.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2010 2:47pm

Hi, Thank you for your post here. From your description, you want to make the profile for domain users mandatory when they log onto a shared PC. It is not possible to map AD user accounts to a specific single local profile. But you can create a shared mandatory roaming profile for domain users. For Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and later OS version, there is a group policy settings there that we can count on to restrict all users log onto the computer to load the roaming profile. Computer Configuration--->Administrative Template--->System--->User Profiles--->Set roaming profile path for all users logging onto this computer For more information about the mandatory roaming profile configuration, you may refer to Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide from: Windows Vista Step-by-Step Guides for IT Professionals http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=311f4be8-9983-4ab0-9685-f1bfec1e7d62&displaylang=en If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
June 4th, 2010 5:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics