ADMX and Server 2003
I understand that when using Group Policy on Windows Vista and Server 2008, you'll be dealing with ADMX. So let's say we introduce Server 2008 into our organization. Should we continue to create our GPOs within Server 2003 so it uses ADM for co-existence? The reason I ask, is let's say we decided to use Server 2008 and created a GPO. Only the Vista/Server 2008 machine has that ADMX file (unless using a central store) and Server 2003 won't understand it.So basically, how does co-existence work when created a GPO within Server 2008? If you still have XP and Server 2003 or prior in your environment, how does co-existence work? Does your Server 2008 machine create the GPO template in Sysvol along with the ADM for Pre-Vista/2k8 support and only start to not use ADM when you're full rid of XP/2k3 and prior?How does this work?Thanks
January 28th, 2008 11:53pm

Hello Elan, Thank you for using the TechNet Forum. Here are some resources about the ADMX: Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/02633470-396c-4e34-971a-0c5b090dc4fd1033.mspx?mfr=true ADMX Schema: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa373476(VS.85).aspx ADMX Technology Review: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/ef346453-eee8-4abe-ba6c-2160fee3be46.mspx ADMX Migrator (this tool is used for converting existing Group Policy ADM Templates to the new ADMX format): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0F1EEC3D-10C4-4B5F-9625-97C2F731090C&displaylang=en Based on these resources above, I summarize some basic information for your reference. Summarized information: ===================== 1. Unlike ADM files, ADMX files are not stored in individual GPOs. For domain-based enterprises, a central store location could be created for ADMX files that is accessible by anyone with permission to create or edit. 2. Group Policy tools will continue to recognize custom ADM files you have in your existing environment, but will ignore any ADM file that has been superseded by ADMX files. 3. New Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based policy settings can be managed only from Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-bsed administrative machines running Group Policy Object Editor or Group Policy Management Console. 4. ADMX file with these new policy settings defined in it will not be exposed on the Windows 2003, Windows XP machines. GPO Editor on such machines cannot be used to modify these policy settings in ADMX and GPMC will display new Windows Vista Administrative Template policy settings as extra registry settings. 5. The Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 versions of Group Policy Object Editor and Group Policy Management Console can be used to manage all operating systems that support Group Policy (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP). I hope this helps. Thank you. Regards, Chang Yin Microsoft Online Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2008 1:59pm

Hi Chang, We have mixed environment with Windows server 20003, 2008 and Windows XP and Windows 7 based operating systems. How to implement ADMX based policy? I don't know anything about it. Please help me. we have to configure a registry setting on a lot of computers and the cleanest way to do this seems to be with a group policy (that way we can revert back to a “known good setting” if it breaks something fairly quickly). I might have to create one to set the following registry keys. The values may change but the keys won’t (currently the decimal values are 300000). What's the best way to do this? I am aware of a tool from Full Armor called ADMX editor. It does editing but I was wondering if there was a better way. We could also try doing it from some kind of a template that is available online. Example: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "KeepAliveTimeout"=dword:000493e0 "ServerInfoTimeout"=dword:000493e0 Regards,
November 24th, 2010 2:41pm

Hi Chang, We have mixed environment with Windows server 20003, 2008 and Windows XP and Windows 7 based operating systems. How to implement ADMX based policy? I don't know anything about it. Please help me. we have to configure a registry setting on a lot of computers and the cleanest way to do this seems to be with a group policy (that way we can revert back to a “known good setting” if it breaks something fairly quickly). I might have to create one to set the following registry keys. The values may change but the keys won’t (currently the decimal values are 300000). What's the best way to do this? I am aware of a tool from Full Armor called ADMX editor. It does editing but I was wondering if there was a better way. We could also try doing it from some kind of a template that is available online. Example: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "KeepAliveTimeout"=dword:000493e0 "ServerInfoTimeout"=dword:000493e0 Regards, I'm looking for a quick answer!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2010 4:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics