8GB Free Space for Server 2008 R2 SP1, Really?
There must be a way to install the service pack with 5GB of free space. All this server does is file services. That is the only role installed. No apps installed. Cleaned out everything I can. I've moved my paging file. My root partition is 15GB with 5GB of free space and I can't install a service pack? Please tell me there is a way around this. Thanks, Mike
April 21st, 2011 6:46pm

Looks like it shouldn't be a problem via windows update. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817650(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2011 8:49pm

Hi, For Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 stand-alone installation, the approximate disk space requirement is 7.4 GB. If you install it via Windows Update, the approximate disk space requirement is only 850MB. This is the best solution for you. For the detailed information, please refer to the Microsoft TechNet article “Dave Patrick” mentioned. If you still want to use the stand-alone installation, you may copy all the files from Drive D to other drives, Delete Drive D and use the “Extend Volume” option to merge Drive C with the free space of your original Drive D. For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: Extend a Volume http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771939.aspx Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 21st, 2011 10:03pm

Either I am doing something wrong or you need more than the 5GB of free space I now have. Tried installing SP1 from Windows Update and received the error "Code 800F0828 Free up disk space and then try again". Can't believe you need over 23GB just for a file server. I guess that's why I run samba where I can get away with it. Thanks for the suggestions. Mike
April 23rd, 2011 12:05pm

Hi, Do you mean that you have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 successfully after freeing up to 23 GB disk space? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 27th, 2011 3:51am

Either I am doing something wrong or you need more than the 5GB of free space I now have. Tried installing SP1 from Windows Update and received the error "Code 800F0828 Free up disk space and then try again". Can't believe you need over 23GB just for a file server. I guess that's why I run samba where I can get away with it. Thanks for the suggestions. Mike Hello, correct the required disk space for the full SP1 update is roundabout 8GB. After the update the required space is less, only during upgrade it is required.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
April 27th, 2011 5:22am

@Dave This worked fine for me. Thanks. Ollie
May 11th, 2011 9:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics