8BITMIME problem on Windows 2003 R3 - mdutil not found.
I've asked what forum to post this question and I've been repeatedly redirected here, even though this is labeled as 2008 only. If I can't ask this question here, please move my post to a forum where it belongs.Here's my little dilemna. I have a Windows 2003 R2 server running IIS 6. I set up the SMTP server as an email gateway for my Domino email server so that I could use Antigen for SMTP. That part seems to work pretty nicely and has been routing successfully for two weeks. However, I noticed that some messages are getting lost. With a little research I discovered thatmy Dominoemail server expects a different format for 8bitmime and is rejecting the relayed messages from the IIS SMTP server. I poked around and found this article that explains how to turn off 8bitmime on the IIS SMTP service so it doesn't get advertised, which should eliminate the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q262168 I've run into an incredibly frustrating snag. First, it mentions that the utility you need to turn off 8bitmime is MDUTIL.EXE, and that it's located in the I386 directory of your install CD. Well, it's not there. I searched both install CD's for win2003 R2, it's not to be found. Not in cabs, not in any folders. Nowhere. I dug out a copy of windows 2003 R1. It had a file called MDUTIL.PDB.EXE. I copied that over and tried running it but get an error "program too big to fit in memory". I've spent hours trying to track down MDUTIL.EX_and instructions from the net, but they all seem to be a copy of that Microsoft article. No other instructions for turning off 8BitMime on IIS6 can be found. I'm stumped. I can't figure out how you're supposed to get the SMTP service to stop advertising for 8bitMime on windows 2003R IIS 6. Can ANYONE PLEASE help me before I shoot myself :)
August 26th, 2009 8:39pm

Soooo.... I guess there isn't a single person who knows!I think it's really sad that you need a special tool to turn 8 bit mime on and off for IIS SMTP, and that the tool isn't included on the disk. I know the SMTP server in IIS isn't meant to be a robust feature rich email package, but it gets a lot of use and this is pathetic. Turning this feature on or off should be as simple as a checkbox in the GUI, or at worst, a value somewhere in the system registry that can be edited.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2009 7:43pm

Hello Narnian, According to the description, the issue seems to be related to IIS. As we mainly focus on the general question about Windows Server system and here is not the best support resource for IIS, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding forum. For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed. IIS Discussion forum http://forums.iis.net/ Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 14th, 2009 2:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics